Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:34 PM   #1

Default Purchasing 300D in the US

Hi to all of you

I will be visiting the US (New York City) from the UK in early March and at that time I am going to treat myself to the Canon 300D (with standard lense kit).
Hopefully I can pick it up for a good price rather than the price tag associated with it here in the UK (may all be relative though!)

My questions to you are :?: :

1.Where would be the best store in the city for me to purchase the 300D? I think we are staying Manhattan way :lol:
2. Would there be any downsides for me purchasing in the US rather than UK (warranty springs to mind!)
3. Would it be just as worthwhile to buy the camera from a US Internet site and pay for shipping to the UK?
4. Anyone got any idea on what I would expect to pay for the 300D in New York?

Any help greatly appreciated

Rgds
Maff
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:41 PM   #2

As an online merchant that sells "stuff" (not cameras) ... I can tell you if you buy it from the US and ship to the UK you'll pay the 17% VAT as well as a big shipping expense ($100 would be about right) + possible duties or other import taxes.

People from the UK ask me all the time to declare my goods lower so they can avoid paying taxes, but I don't do that. Maybe you can find an online retailer that will, I'm not sure.

How much of a savings are we talking about anyways? 20%? If it's 20% or less, I'd just buy it there if you plan to stay/live in the UK most of the time. Save yourself the hassle if something does go wrong with it.

As for what you can expect to pay in NY... I don't live there. But I'm sure they have a bestbuy or circuit city or other national chain of discount electronic stores. Many of these stores will price match from online vendors if you bring proof with you, such as a printed excerpt from their website. But they do often have a policy that they will only price match from other "large/reputable" online electronics sites... Like TechDepot or B&H Photo. I'd check B&H, I tend to buy from them because I don't like drama when making an online purchase
born2drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:52 PM   #3

B&H is in New York. They have a huge store.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:49 PM   #4

Thanks so much for your responses, I looked B&H up on the web and I think I will pay them a visit when i get to NY City.

Cheers

Maff
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:36 AM   #5

Maff pick it up there. The price difference will floor you when you do the conversion. Pick up a decent card too at least a 512m as the DR really eats em up.

born2drv it's easy to complain about others when the rest of the world has to pay so much more than you in the USA. You are right about the avoidance of tax though and I'm glad your honest.
AR.
Ausie Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:14 AM   #6

I think your right Ausie Rebel, I will try and pick one up there in March, I stand to save at least 250 UK Pounds which is a result.

The only thing I'm worried about is will the camera come with a world wide Canon warranty or will i be stuffed if the camera develops a fault back in the UK!

Anybody know the answer??
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:21 AM   #7

Maff,
I think the UK law says that you would have to return the purchased item to the Supplier and it is their responsibility for repair/replacement - not Canon's directly!
pompeyscouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:48 PM   #8

You might see if they will sell you a grey market or import version. If the import was actually from the UK, then you'd be covered!

And I'll second (or third?) the motion but B&H. Very good place.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 7:13 AM   #9

I'd pass on the 300D and the Rebel and get the EOS Kiss Digital.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:08 AM   #10
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik
I'd pass on the 300D and the Rebel and get the EOS Kiss Digital.
... That's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote