Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel Quality control?

Well this is not very good for a person like me wanting to get the camera...

So far I heard of these problems

Err99 Error

Loose Hot Shoe mount

Backfocus problems

Is this due because Canon is trying to get out as many cameras as they can???
300D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:50 AM   #2

wow did I scare away anyone? I hope not I still want to get the camera!
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:40 AM   #3

I think my DRebel is very well built, regardless of price. Better than the last Elan IIe I had, and as good or better than my Minolta D7Hi. I haven't gotten the error message, and experienced back focus only on the Tokina 20-35 AT-X Pro. I think the lens needs repair or firmware update, because focus is just fine with my Canon lenses, such as 85/1.8, 50/1.8, and 70-200/4 L, and with my Tamron 28-75/2.8. The hot shoe is robust, which I found because of the tight fit of a Sunpak in it. I suppose one can always get a faulty product, but I'm very happy with mine.
BTW, all the fuss about not being able to select metering is nonsense. You can pick what you want 99% of the time with no difficulty. Maybe users should read the instruction manual, use the camera, and think.
This is a great camera, especially for its price! I shot 35mm for 25+ years, and the 300D has more useful features than almost any 35mm camera I ever used, with quality to match.
tomc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:21 AM   #4
M-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc73
BTW, all the fuss about not being able to select metering is nonsense.
Nonsense? How about centerweighted metering in Av or Tv modes? Or partial metering in the Manual mode?

And although we can use AE lock to switch from the Evaluative to Partial metering in some creative zones, it's, probably, not the most convenient way.
M-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:57 AM   #5

I've been using it full time for over a month now and have nothing serious to complain about. Every camera has its +'s ans -'s, and this one has more positive than negative. Great piece of equipment if you ask me!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:57 PM   #6

I've have not had a problem with my Drebel, throughly enjoy using it. I got it on January 6 and at last count have taken a little of 350 photos so far. No error messages not loose parts. What more can I say :lol:
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:36 PM   #7

I've had mine for about as long as anyone else has (picked up mine in the first batch sent out in September) and I've had no problems with close to two thousand shots taken.

The camera is missing some features that the 10D has - but it is priced less. I rarely shoot in any of the PIC modes, usually Tv or Av. Even on my Elan 7 which has all the features I never use any of them 99% of the time.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
I've had mine for about as long as anyone else has (picked up mine in the first batch sent out in September) and I've had no problems with close to two thousand shots taken.

The camera is missing some features that the 10D has - but it is priced less. I rarely shoot in any of the PIC modes, usually Tv or Av. Even on my Elan 7 which has all the features I never use any of them 99% of the time.
Wow.. only 2,000 shots taken? lol I would be someplace around like 6,000 now.. On My Minola S404 I rolled over 10K

I most of the time shoot in M mode
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:36 PM   #9
M-O

Guys,

What flashes do you use, and did you notice any significant underexposure with Digital Rebel and your flashes?

Mine underexposes a full stop (worst: macro photos and portraits taken with MR-14ex ring flash).

Looks like a quality control issue to me.
M-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:34 PM   #10

300D

I also use my G2 on occasion, so that's another 200+ shots. I took more shots when I commuted into work...

M-O -

I use a 420EX flash and fine that it works quite well for me. Macro photography with flash is a bit of a mystery to me, but the MR-14 is not as strong a flash as a 420EX is. For portrait work could you be hitting the maximum output on the flash?

A lot of people complain about underexposure - I'll guess that it's more of a failling of the camera rather than a quality control issue.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote