Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:24 PM   #1

Default Canon T3i Noob and first time poster

I have visited this site for many years but never created an account or posted. I recently purchased a canon t3i with 2 lenses the an efs 18-55 and an efs 55-250. Today I was out snapping photos of my son in the mall on during his visit with Santa Claus and I had the 55-250 lens mounted with af on and stabilizer on and then when it was time to leave I forgot to turn off the camera before taking the 55-250 lens off and capping the lens and camera. Is it possible to hurt anything on the camera or the lens in doing this?

Within minutes I remounted the lens and the camera and the lens do not appear to have any issues, however I am very nervous and looking for advice from you seasoned Canon DSLR'ers. Thanks in advance for the help.
Poimandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

No, nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
No, nothing to worry about.
Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:25 AM   #4

hi I really dont think you have too much to worry about. Canon does say to turn off before you change lenses. but I have done the same and changed with power on. Happy snapping
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:01 PM   #5

Well after telling myself that I would not do this again, today I left the camera on again and unmounted the 18-55 lens. I packed everything up put the dust covers on the lens and the camera and left the camera in the bag with the power on. I realize that the power does shut off after a certain amount of time so when I put the lens back on with the power still on I assume that it was off. Half depressing the shutter brought the power on in the viewfinder. So another noob question would be did I hurt anything? Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:20 PM   #6

Err, get a bigger bag so you can leave the lens on!!!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Err, get a bigger bag so you can leave the lens on!!!
Thanks but did it hurt anything? The bag is plenty big enough are there any issues leaving the lens mounted all the time?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:58 PM   #8

Heck no. I always, and I mean always leave a lens on my body. About the only time the body cap gets any use is when I finally retire the body!

lazy
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Heck no. I always, and I mean always leave a lens on my body. About the only time the body cap gets any use is when I finally retire the body!

lazy
Thanks;
But is it possible that I hurt anything?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:40 PM   #10

You capped the body, so there's nothing to worry about. As you've already mentioned, the camera will turn itself off after a bit. Besides, the camera is not going to overheat unless you push it in video mode, and even then it has a thermal shut-off.

I was a bit concerned about such things when I first got a dSLR. I mean, you can't swap out video cards on a pc while the thing is running, so what happened when I forgot to turn the camera off during a lens change? It might be best to think of these devices as USB plug and play.

I agree with the others that it is best to keep the lens on the body. Every lens change is another change to get dust on the sensor, so I don't change lenses until I need to, and leave the lens in place otherwise.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote