Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:34 PM   #1

Default Will price of 5DmkII if a MkIII is released and by much?

I got to play with a full frame camera last night and im hooked. the 5DmkII is what i want , but there are rumors of a 5DmkIII on the way early next year.

I know the price of the mkII will go down if its made obsolete, but how much will it go down by when the mkIII is released?

Im wondering if i should wait 2-3 months or if theres any point if there will be very little of a price decrease.

Whats the usual pattern?
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:36 PM   #2

I've seen some good deals on that camera recently. Something like the 5dII with the 24-105mm for $2800. Sell the lens off if necessary, for $1000.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:22 AM   #3

canon rumours say march to summer next year so maybe shipping in september this maybe true as it will allow time to ship the 1dx
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4

It's very difficult to predict what will happen to the price. The 5dIII could be released at a higher price point than the 5dII - in which case the 5dII price would hold fairly steady. Where deals will be had is people selling 5dIIs to buy 5dIIIs. But if you want to buy new, I wouldn't expect prices to fall a whole lot. More likely, Canon will let supplies of the 5dII shrivel up. If you're expecting a price drop of more than $150 or so from current deals I think you'll be disappointed. In other words, don't be expecting to pick up a 5dII for $1200.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:52 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree with John. Going back to the 5D when the 5DmkII came out, there wasn't a significant drop initially on that either, again stocks just dried up. The price has dropped a little recently which is good and I will say something I've said many times, get a new camera when you need it, if you wait then sure there will be something else, but then after that there will be something else again.... you would wait forever. I've just added a 2nd 5DmkII to my kit as it is a great workhorse for my kind of shooting.

John, not sure if you spotted it but my mkIII is sold

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:29 PM   #6

yeah - I saw that Mark. Seems like the 1dx was made for you. Come on, what's $6800? You know you're going to buy it, stop trying to convince yourself you're not
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:56 AM   #7

I think this is why Canon has the aggressive rebate program in place right now. I picked up a new 5DII for my daughter for $2200 & a Pixma Pro 9000 mark II printer for $399 less $400 rebate, or -$1. She doesn't really need the printer so we're going to sell it for a reasonable price ($175-200) to further offset the 5DII price.

My gut feel is that Canon will be introducing a new 5DII replacement (whatever they're going to call it) in the early Spring and I think it the 5DII used prices will remain fairly steady, if lens prices are any indicator.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:08 PM   #8

B&H has a special going on for a 5DII for less than 2K, go for it!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:30 PM   #9

Don't know where you're seeing it for less than two grand. Here is the link & it's $2209:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Mark_II.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
Don't know where you're seeing it for less than two grand. Here is the link & it's $2209:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Mark_II.html

And here is the link to $1999.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tialSearch=yes
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote