Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:27 PM   #11
Administrator

That shot looks pretty good to me, with the closest eye looking pretty sharp. So, I'd give more details on what you don't like about it. If it's because other areas are not as sharp, then that's a simple Depth of Field issue, where you may want to use a different aperture setting (higher f/stop numbers will give more depth of field).

But, one thing you may want to be aware of is that your photo exceeded the maximum allowed sizes here, either for file size or dimensions.

When you use the Attachments manager (paperclip icon) to upload an image, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes shown by each file type on the screen that comes up with a browse button on it. For jpeg files, the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes), and the dimensions in pixels should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.

If it's larger than the maximum allowed sizes, the forums will attempt to downsize and recompress the image, and will strip out the EXIF information in the image header (that contains camera settings used), to try and make the image "fit" within our maximum limits.

As a result of your image exceeding the maximum allowed size, the forums software automatically recompressed your image and stripped out any EXIF information about camera settings. When that happens, images usually look softer (as the compression algorithms the forums use leave a lot to be desired).

So, I'd suggest making sure you downsize your images so that they do not exceed the maximum allowed file size (they should be no larger than 253.9KB) and dimensions (the longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels).

If you exceed either one, the forums software is going to modify your images, and they will usually look softer as a result.

With most image editors, if you downsize images so that the longest dimension is 1024 pixels or shorter (and I'd suggest around 800 pixels for starters) and use a JPEG quality setting of around 80% (or 8 if your editor is using a 1 to 10 scale), then the file size will be within the allowed size (the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB)

If the image is within the maximum allowed size for both dimensions and file size, then the forums software will not modify the image.

If it exceeds the maximum allowed sizes for either one (as your image did), then the forums software is going to resize and/or recompress your images, and will also strip out any EXIF information. That recompression usually makes images look softer.

If you're using Windows, you may want to try the free Irfanview to resize your images.

After opening an image (File>Open), just go to the Image>Resize/Resample choice and make the longest dimension no larger than 1024 pixels (and around 800 pixels on the longest side is about right), making sure the box to retain aspect ratio is checked. Personally, I use the Lanczos algorithm for resizing (you'll see a drop down list of choices).

Then, after you resize the image so that the dimensions are smaller, use the File>Save As choice and give it a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original), selecting JPG as the file type. When saving a JPEG file, you'll see a box pop up with a JPEG quality slider. I'd make it about 80% to keep the file size where it's not too large for an image with dimensions of around 800 pixels on it's longest side.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:23 PM   #12

thanks Jim and I'm sorry.... I did make it smaller I guess i have to go smaller.

I'll do it next time
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:29 PM   #13

thanks everyone for the help I truly appreciate it. Hawgwild your granddaughter is adorable and the dog is beautiful. I gotta take some shots of my big guy too. I posted a new pic of my daughter with changes everyone suggested in the critique area