Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Can't get the clarity I want......

Hi, I'm using a canon t1i got it a week or so ago early xmas present. Now i haven't used photoshop on this yet. Yet these are the first portraits of my daughter I took, I used the 18-55mm lense for it, set on close up. It isn't the clarity i want. I've seen some amazing pics in here, clarity is amazing on them. I want to be able to attain that. Yet how? Do I need to set the iso speeds on my own as opposed to using one of the settings? thanks!
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2

There is a combination of things that is causing the issue. It is a low light shot, and the built in flash is not up to the task. Also the kit lens is not fast enough to get faster shutter speed so you it looks like the camera picked a higher iso. So there is more noise making is not as crisp. And kit lens is not a good indoor lens. It need good light to get good crisp photos.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:40 PM   #3

Hi Jenna, I think you have a real model there! Your pic was slightly under-exposed, and I added some saturation and sharpness as well. Hope you don't mind. Also, if you can budget it, an external flash, bounced from the ceiling would make a HUGE difference. But first, get the exposure right. I usually use a longer lens (even indoors) and bounce flash. Only at great distances should you ever have to set the iso higher than 200. Use program or aperture mode or shutter mode for your flash pics. The close up mode will work ok, but I never use the "scene" modes. 99% of all my shots are in aperture priority, and that serves me well enough. It gives me control over depth of field, which is important to me, but maybe not to everybody. Shutter speed, within reason. I can control with iso. Anyway, here's your daugter (lovely, I might add), with my tweaks. Also, here are a couple of shots at my granddaughter's 2nd birthday, using external flash bounced off the ceiling.

Bella

My boy King

Jenna, the camera and lenses you now have will give you superb results. Keep shooting and posting. Folks here are much more helpful than I am LOL.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Yup 100 or 200 iso with a good external flash really makes a world of difference for portrait shots. Much crisper then 400 and 800 iso. With a good external flash you can shoot at 200iso and f6 or f7.1 where the 18-55 is pretty sharp at. And still have a fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur. But you will have more dof then shooting at 5.6 when zoom out, but it will be sharper.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:20 AM   #5

We need the complete EXIF data for your shot.

Kelly Cook
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:03 AM   #6

As KCook says- the exif data would give us some more ideas- however- It doesn't look too bad to me,and with a bit of PP would make a good print.
Try another at iso 400,aperture priority(wide open),centre spot focus(using your daughters eye as the target at pre-focus,moving camera back to desired position whilst still holding shutter button half way down),maybe try spot metering also...
If you feel you need a bit more light,give the flash a bit of a boost via the flash compensation function.
I do believe the t1I has a Portrait mode also...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:11 AM   #7

Here's a bit of PP on the pic of your very pretty daughter..
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:33 AM   #8

thanks,

This site is so helpful. I thought it was me, my focusing ability. I had the canon powershot initially so used that for a year and became somewhat familiar with it and my obsession photography.

Yet i'm like a little kid I get soo frustrated when i can't get it the way I want to. I'll sit there for 2 hours lol

I"m going to retry it with what you guys said. GREAT advice

Jen
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:23 PM   #9

but if you can.. next time let us know your setting on your camera also.. cause if your shooting Jpeg,, compared to raw.. you can see another difference..but very pretty daughter also..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:56 PM   #10

If you feel the need to return for more info on this problem, I think it would be better if you defined "clarity" for us. That's a nebulous term that doesn't have an analogue in photography.

If, by "clarity" you mean "sharpness" it's hard for us to judge the sharpness of the image you posted, since it's a reduced resolution image, which would inherently be less sharp than the original.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote