Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:20 PM   #11

I had one for my little old Rebel XT and it really made it more manageable and the battery life improvement helped, too. I also liked the additional trigger.

With my 7D, though, the camera feels fine without a grip and the battery life on the 7D is nothing short of amazing, even in very cold conditions. I have a back-up battery, but I can't every remember even coming close to draining a full battery, even after more than two days of shooting and over 1000 pics.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:06 AM   #12

Have one for my T1i, and I really do not use it that much. I skipped the grip for my 60d. If works just fine without it. It comes down to personal preference honestly. Some like the larger holding area, with the portrait trigger and controls button. So like a more compact camera.

The video thing and battery life is a bit over rated. You can shoot only about 15min files. So you really have time to swap out battery. And if you only have a 8gb card you will only be able to shoot 2 15min clips before you change cards as well.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:46 PM   #13

If you are shooting video from a tripod, the grip is the only way to go. The tripod mount prevents access to the battery compartment.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:06 PM   #14

Not always the case, there are quick release plates that do not block the battery compartment. And it is a breeze to swap battery.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:20 AM   #15

For myself I do a lot of BIF (Bird in flight) and wouldnt do with out my grip plus shooting more comfortable in portrait orientation, but this is my preference
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:05 PM   #16

I have just shoot a wedding a the weekend and used my grip on my t2i/550d and to be honest it was great the camera was balanced well and was easier to use for portraits the battery life seems ok as this is not a canon. I shot nearly 500 shots and the battery was still alive and well. I can see times when I dont want one but so far so good
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote