Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:49 PM   #1

Default To Grip Or Not To Grip

I have read a feew posting on battery grips, However the one thing that I haven't read and quite frankly don't know is why. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using one and what dictates the use of one. Thanks
powelldb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:14 PM   #2

How about having the run time of two batteries instead of just one?

A disadvantage, however, would be the added bulk and weight.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 4:56 PM   #3

Personally,I've never felt the need for one... preferring a back up battery or two in my bag..! Of course they can help in portrait shooting with the more appropriate shutter placement and if you have a heavy lens attached,can help balance the camera better...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:23 PM   #4

The main reason I pull out the battery grip is for the run time when shooting video. It's also a good back-up, allowing the use of AA batteries if the camera battery isn't charged.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:51 PM   #5

Only down side with 2 batteries in the grip is in the cold of winter.

I went out on a really cold (-30) day with my first dslr camera that had a grip (way back in the dark ages). Took me maybe 30 minutes to walk out on a river and camera died shortly after, 2 solidly frozen batteries nestled nicely in the grip.

Now I carry my spare batteries in an inside pocket, and swap them as the in camera battery starts to fade from cold exposure.

I also tend to forgo any extra bulk like the grip when spending days trudging through the snow.

That said having largish hands, I do prefer using grips when possible gives you something to grab on too, as well as an extra set of controls on the side for vertical shootin.

Last edited by PeterP; Dec 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6

I have a Pentax K10D and a K-5...both with the optional grip.

They make the camera heavier...but I have an additional battery in the grips and when my body battery dies...I can go to the menu and switch quickly to the grip battery...I'm in business again.

With the Pentax grips I can also carry an extra memory card and a Pentax remote control in the grips storage area. I like this feature.

Don't know if this is the same with the Canon grip ?

I also like the grip...I have big hands and the grip fills my hand and I feel more secure with the extra grip area the grip provides. I wouldn't be without the grip.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:03 AM   #7

That depends on the size and weight of the camera. I leave mine on my Canon XSi all the time because the camera is very light and even with the battery grip on. However, on my new 5D MK II, I don't think I would even consider buying one because of its enormous size and weight. If doesn't have a built-in flash, I can't imagine how heavy it will be with both the external flash and the battery grip on at the same time.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:11 AM   #8

I "always" use grips with my camera's.

I often photograph with large lenses, and with a grip and two batteries the camera feels more in balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
However, on my new 5D MK II, I don't think I would even consider buying one because of its enormous size and weight. If doesn't have a built-in flash, I can't imagine how heavy it will be with both the external flash and the battery grip on at the same time.
I can. i use a 7D, with grip and sometimes a 580EX II, with a 24-105L or a 100-400L. The 24-105 is nice and stable due to the inertia of the mass, with the 100-400 i can only photograph with a monopod. It's just too heavy to handheld.

Last edited by Marc H; Dec 30, 2011 at 1:17 AM.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:21 AM   #9

I got a grip a few weeks ago because i needed another battery, I found a grip on amazon for 32 with 2 batteries and a remote release. Bargin. I have put the grip on and on my 550d/t2i it seems to work well.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:26 PM   #10

Default Go for it!

I've got a Canon 550D and finally decided to get a battery grip (genuine Canon BG-E8) and had it arrive a couple of days ago. Before I got it I was thinking it may look cool but will be heavier and bulkier but now I have it can't get enough of it.

Firstly, it offers a better overall grip for my large hands, most importantly my little finger now has somewhere to go.

Secondly, the camera just seems to have a better balance now, especially when using my telephoto lens. As well as this, the replicated controls when doing vertically orientated shots make it a lot easier when you're taking loads of shots.

Finally, the battery life is staggering, now I appreciate that is because of two batteries but it's great not having to worry about spare batteries. The option to use AA batteries in the case of emergency is a handy feature too.

You've probably guessed it, my answer is get the battery grip, you won't regret it!

Canon EOS 550D ~ 18-55mm IS ~ 55-250mm IS ~ 430EXII
05mpwright is offline   Reply With Quote