Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:48 AM   #1

Default T2i mirror moving when shooting from live view

Why does my T2i's mirror move when I shoot a picture from Live View mode, NOT using Quick Focus? Someone on another forum suggested that perhaps the mirror and shutter were connected as a cost-saving feature, but I don't think that's the case since mirror lockup is available in viewfinder mode.
Jim Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #2

When using 'Live View' the mirror is up against the focusing screen, which blocks the view through the optical viewfinder, and the shutter opens to allow the lens to project an image onto the sensor which is then displayed on the camera's LCD Monitor. When you fully depress the shutter button, the shutter closes, opens again for the duration of the shutter speed when it closes again, and then opens again to permit the 'Live View' to work.

Is it possible that what you're hearing is the operation of the shutter and not the movement of the mirror?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:10 PM   #3

I understand that the shutter is used to control the exposure time since the chip has a fixed readout time. However, it's definitely the mirror moving along with the shutter. The image reappears in the viewfinder when the mirror sound occurs.

Another person on another forum has affirmed that the mirror operation and shutter operation are connected physically. But this makes no sense to me, since mirror lockup mode is available when using the viewfinder. I haven't experimented, but surely the mirror doesn't move with the shutter actuation in mirror lockup mode, because that would defeat the anti-vibration purpose for locking the mirror up. So does the camera take a picture without using the shutter when the mirror is locked up?
Jim Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:06 PM   #4

The mirror moves out of the way immediately before snapping a shot, under normal operation. In live view, the mirror moves out of the way ahead of time. I don't understand your sources ascertion that the mirror and shutter are connected, but if it's on the internet it must be true...
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:21 PM   #5

So you're saying that, when your T2i is in 'Live View' mode and you're looking through the optical viewfinder, it's dark, but when you fully depress the shutter button, you see two flashes of light, one where the mirror goes down and comes back up again before the sound of the shutter, and another after the sound of the shutter? Is that right?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote