Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Default 1D Mk III vs 7D for Sports Shooters

Which camera body would be the best choice for sports shooters ...the 1DMkIII or the 7D? (Sports include football at night, baseball day and night, lacrosse day and night, basketball, volleyball, wrestling, tennis, swimming.)

MkIII=10 mpxls----7D=18mpxls

MkIII=10 fps----7D=8fps

MkIII=crop factor 1.3----7D=crop factor 1.6

My experience is the extended reach of 1.6 crop factor is typically not achievable due to lens/focus issues (similar to JohnG's view).

And since increased "reach" may not be a benefit, the framing advantage of the 1.3 crop may be a more compelling benefit.

10 fps vs 8 fps would seem to be a compelling reason to chose the 1DMk III.

Is the increase in mpxls a major factor if very enlarged photos are not a consideration?

Are there other factors that should be considered, eg auto focus performance, noise/ISO considerations?

I'd appreciate your views.

Jerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:16 PM   #2

Jerry - I don't own a 7d. Here is what I've gotten from members of sportsshooter.com over the last couple years:
7d is a fantastic camera but it is NOT a 1 series. The only reason 7d is "better" for sports is if you have a defective 1dIII. If your 1dIII works, the 7d has no advantages - high iso performance is not as good, AF tracking is not as good. The only benefit is it's smaller/lighter. Check with Mark1616 - he had both bodies at the same time. I don't know of any other sports photographers at Steves that have shot with both.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:34 PM   #3

I didn't mean to imply that I shoot with both. I own a 7D and a 40D but think a MkIII (1 series) would be better for the sports I shoot and was looking for confirmation of that. I'm glad that you replied so quickly. Thanks.
Jerry
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

As John said, until recently I had both but traded the 1DmkIII in for a 2nd 5DmkII as I mainly shoot weddings/portraits now.

When I had both, if I was shooting sports then the 1DmkIII would always be the choice, it is a cleaner image, better high ISO, better AF and faster burst...... there is always that question thought.... by what amount is it better. With AF you can't measure but it gets a few more keepers, with noise then I would say about 1 stop better or slightly more, the burst we can all work out

If you are shooting loads of sports and can justify the 1DmkIII it is really worth it, if you want a great all rounder then the 7D is choice which is why I have the 7D along with my 2 5DmkII's. Not sure if that helped
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:06 PM   #5

Thanks Mark
It's good to hear from someone who has used both.
Sports is basically all I shoot and as I said I have a 40D and a 7D. If I can find a good MkIII I would probably sell one of the two.
Jerry
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:51 PM   #6
Super Moderator

If possible, never be without a backup, so I would try to keep the 40D just in case. You will love the mkIII if you get it, I really didn't want to sell mine but it was just sitting there doing nothing where as the 5DmkII is used all the time.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:22 PM   #7

I agree about keeping a backup...but do I keep the 7D or the 40D. The 7D would fetch more if I sold it than the 40D.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:59 AM   #8

Also don't forget that with sports that lenses make a huge difference

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Also don't forget that with sports that lenses make a huge difference

dave
It's very true. Jerry already has the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 so is pretty sorted with glass
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:24 PM   #10

Right Mark I have the 70-200mm f2.8 and I also use the 85mm f1.8 prime for indoor/gym events.

I'm thinking the 1.3 crop factor of the 1 series would allow me to get better framed shots.

To add more confusion, I was also going to rent the 135mm f2 L prime lens to try when shooting volleyball and basketball.