Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Sports shooter's kit

Since I last posted my thread about the canon 7D vs the Canon 1D Mark III for shooting sports, I have also looked into the canon 1D Mark II N.

It has the same crop factor as the Mk III, fewer pixels , a smaller 2.5” LCD
but the same 45 point focus system as the Mk III. Of course it is an older vintage camera-- But from what I see the Mark II N is often called the fastest, best auto focus camera Canon has made for shooting sports. Not sure whether I could find a “low mileage” Mk II N since most are about 5 yrs old.

So now I’m trying to decide whether this would be a good alternative to the Mark III given that I would like to get closer to a full frame body for the framing benefit that offers.

My current kit includes the 7D, a 40D (my backup camera), the canon 70-200mm f2.8 lens, an 85mm f1.8 lens, a 50mm f1.8 lens and a EF-S 17-85mm IS f4-5.6 lens (not compatible with the 1D series).

I primarily shoot high school sports for the local newspaper plus some local college/pro sports here in Ponte Verdra Beach such as TPC golf and the NFL Jacksonville Jaguars. I also sell photos on my website. High quality photos are important for my website but less so for the newspaper. FYI I probably make less than $10k a year from my photography which I use to supplement my retirement income.

The question I am now pondering is this

• assuming I could find a good condition, low shutter activations Mk II N for about $850-950 would I be better of getting one

Or

• keep shooting with my current kit and save up for a Mark III or IV (likely to be a long time since at my age I don’t buy green bananas.)

Or

• don’t get either the Mk II N or Mk III, and use the money to add a better lens (???) to my kit.

Or

• don’t do any of those and keep shooting with what I have.

I appreciate any advice you may offer and apologize for the length of this post.

Jerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:19 PM   #2

The 7D is actually a very fast camera suitable for taking pictures at the sports events. Unless you don't find it fast enough, otherwise, there is no need for you to upgrade.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:49 PM   #3

I am considering it for two reasons
1) it is closer to a full frame sensor than the 7D
2) it is said to have a very fast AF capability...faster than the 7D

I'm not sure whether those attributes make it worthwhile considering...would my money be better spent on a better lens?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:08 PM   #4

You already have fast lenses, the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 85mm f/1.8. The 7D can use high ISO without sacrificing much resolution unless you are thinking of getting a lens with IS.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:33 PM   #5

since most of what I shoot requires higher shutter speeds, IS isn't really a much of a consideration.