Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:39 PM   #1

Default My next body may not be an EOS

I have developed my kit along the lines of Canon lenses. I thought that Canon would provide the widest options for the ever changing migration of technology. Now I’m thinking of changing course with the announcement of the Sony Nex-7. The mirrorless technology holds some distinct advantages for my style of shooting. Though I would loose autofocus, there is a third-party adaptor that would let me use my current EF lenses while I develop a new lens collection. My 400mm f5.6 L would give me a field of view of 800mm (correction 600mm) with a significant weight differential to a DSLR body attached to a 800mm lens. Add to that a wide angle lens built for the body and you have a relatively light weight system with a huge focal range. I hope that Canon will introduce a mirrorless system with interchangeable lenses and an adaptor for their line of EF lenses. So far I haven’t heard of anything.

Last edited by philby; Jan 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:56 PM   #2

G'day Philby

Give it time mate .... give it time
I predict that ALL the dSLR companies will release mirrorless versions of their current APS-sensor SLR products over the next year or two ~ all that'll change initially will be the clunky & slow mirror mechanism will be replaced by a spunky EVF > then other things will follow

I would put money on a bet that by 2016, certainly 2020 there will be zero dSLR camera bodies with the current mirror-box bodies

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:53 AM   #3

Hi I think we will find that the market will have more mirrorless cameras around but to me smaller doesnt mean better. just seen the nikon j1 its just too small for me, of the the others again most seem small. What I would like and I am sure it will come is a mirrorless the size of a DSLR with all the same features
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:56 AM   #4

I'm curious- why will your 400mm lens be a 800mm on the NEX... given that the sensors are pretty much the same size(Canon APS-C and Sony APS-C)...?

Last edited by SIMON40; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:21 PM   #5

G'day Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Hi I think we will find that the market will have more mirrorless cameras around ..... What I would like and I am sure it will come is a mirrorless the size of a DSLR with all the same features
Yes mate - this is what I've been talking about > where the current mechanical mirror-box is replaced with the EVF and just about everything else remains 'as-is'

Although ... due to the swing-size of the mirror, and the ever-increasing size of the rear LCD screen, in my opinion current model dSLR camera bodies are too big

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:53 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philby View Post
...My 400mm f5.6 L would give me a field of view of 800mm with a significant weight differential to a DSLR body attached to a 800mm lens.
You must be thinking that the sensors in the Sony NEX models are Micro 4/3s size sensors where a 2x multiplier is used. That is not the case.

The NEX-7 (and other Sony NEX cameras) use APS-C size sensors that are slightly larger than Canon's APS-C size sensors.

Basically, use 1.5x to see how angle of view compares to a 35mm camera.

For example, when used on an NEX camera via an adapter, your 400mm lens would give you the same angle of view as you'd have using a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera (400mm x 1.5 = 600mm). That's actually a slightly wider angle of view than you'd have on a Canon body with an APS-C size sensor.

With a Canon body using an APS-C size sensor, you'd have roughly the same angle of view you'd get using a 640mm lens on a 35mm camera (400mm x 1.6 = 640mm), since Canon APS-C size sensors are slightly smaller than Sony APS-C size sensors.

If you wanted to end up with a narrower angle of view, you'd need to use a smaller sensor.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:48 PM   #7

I too look forward to mirrorless cameras, primarily for the benefit of constant autofocus while recording video. My body has a few years left in it, so the technology will have a chance to mature before I have to make a move. EF lens compatibility will be a must of course.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:29 PM   #8

I miss read the 2x crop factor and agree an APS-C would give the 400mm a field of view of around that of a 600mm. I have long thought that cameras would come to look like lens caps on the ends of large telephoto lenses.

Last edited by philby; Jan 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:27 AM   #9

Hi Phil for me the large body is great it feels just right in my hands. i am sure I am not alone in this thinking which is why I think there is a market for both kinds.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10

I agree, and don't think they are mutually exclusive. Being able to swap lenses across the two platforms is powerfull. There are some places that I don't bring my camera because its just too big. I take alot of wildlife shots with a 5d1 and my kit weighs 15-20 lbs. I have been wanting a APS-C for some time. The foot print of the NEX-7 is appealing when I think of adding an extra body. Plus long overnight hikes drops the overall camera gear weight to six or seven pounds with a telephoto and some pancake lenses.