Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Default from T2i to 7 d ?

I would like some expert opinons. I currently have the t2i as my first DSLR. I shoot a variety of things but sports is among my favourites ( hockey) I am working toward a 70-200 2.8L but i am curious to know .Is the 7d a noteable improvement ? What does it do better? what is a fair price in the used market (would only consider mint cond.)

Thanks
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:25 AM   #2

The 7D is a big improvement over the T2i, but generally, people do better with a lens upgrade than a body upgrade.

What is it about your T2i that you think switching to the 7D would improve?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 7D is a big improvement over the T2i, but generally, people do better with a lens upgrade than a body upgrade.

What is it about your T2i that you think switching to the 7D would improve?
hopefully , sharper , nicer images in general and I was hoping it would take better photos at higher iso? either way i need the 70-200 mm 2.8 L (is or not i really don't know) This lense with definately improve my hockey shooting , but i will definately use it for everything else as well ,Thats why i'm thinking i will need the (is) My t2i has done some funky this (locking up and such) so i am loosing confince a bit in it and was thinking something else.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

There are 2 main gains, the higher continuous shoot speed and the better AF, apart from that things are almost identical with image quality. Check out http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...rand2%29/Canon which will give some info.

Don't get the 7D until after you have the glass you need, there is no gain to be had, but there is a huge gain by getting the new glass. As for IS or non IS, if we are talking first generation then the non IS is a little sharper, but obviously it can be nice to have IS in some situations where you want to be able to hand hold with a slower shutter speed (sports isn't one of those situations).

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
There are 2 main gains, the higher continuous shoot speed and the better AF, apart from that things are almost identical with image quality. Check out http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...rand2%29/Canon which will give some info.

Don't get the 7D until after you have the glass you need, there is no gain to be had, but there is a huge gain by getting the new glass. As for IS or non IS, if we are talking first generation then the non IS is a little sharper, but obviously it can be nice to have IS in some situations where you want to be able to hand hold with a slower shutter speed (sports isn't one of those situations).
Thank you very much for your advice
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:47 AM   #6

Hi I have the 550d/t2i and I see my upgrade to a 7d but I must say that when i got my sigma 17-70os the results were just out standing compared to my original kit lens, and i thought and still think that the 18-55 isnt a bad lens. My advice is get the lens upgrade first.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote