Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:29 PM   #11

Well ok, I see.
But that is in servo mode, that's a evaluated guess system as far as I know, when mounting on a tripod is it not so that you get the same results as with IS/OS on a tripod ??

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:29 PM   #12

NHL,

I hadn't considered the 14n. I have heard amazing things about the F5's AF system. I know someone who thinking of getting it (considering that Kodak has a $1,000 rebate going right now) but I don't think I want to leave Canon just yet. I expect a replacement for the 1D to come out and that might tempt me.

barthold

You really think the 10D will be replaced? I'm leaning towards the 1D myself. Could be, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:02 PM   #13

Frank,

Yes AI-Servo, but still strange the results are so different! Why would it be on a stationary subject? Its not very intuitive, is it? I would expect it to vary a little, or not at all.

Lets assume focus improves in AI-servo mode when the subject moves. At what rate of speed does it improve, and how much? Even if it gets perfect as soon as any movement is detected, his results would mean that the first shot you take in AI servo mode is likely to be off.

He also claims this is representative for one-shot mode. Interesting experiment to do yourself sometime.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:02 AM   #14

The first shot in AI-Servo is not taken when the picture is in focus, but when you push the shutter button. It has "shutter button" priority. The rest are done in focus priority (the standard way it works, picture taken when it's in focus.) Because of this, I don't expect the first picture to be in focus in AIServo.

Several people at RobGalbraith's site have complained about this, saying that Nikons doesn't work this way & why can't Canon have a setting so it's always focus priority? I believe that Chuck W. saw the posts and said he didn't know why they didn't offer that (not helpful, but true.)

I believe Canon also suggests that you don't use AIServo on non-moving subjects. I don't, but that is really because I recompose some times and AIServer would really through that off.

I've gotten good pictures in AIServer, and some complete garbage. So it might not work the way I want, but it does work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:05 AM   #15

Normally I use AI mode, this will switch itself, resulting in (according to me) the correct focus, since I use that I have no more problems.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:47 AM   #16

i did what everyone was raving about using the center focus point.... then i switched to 7 points at f /2.8 almost ALL my shots were sharp... before it was hit or miss.. i guess certain times 7 points are just better with a shallow DOF
thepiecesfit is offline   Reply With Quote