Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:31 AM   #1

Default canon MB card

hi all, i plan to purchase my 1st digital cam- canon digital rebel- and want to use this for astrophotography, i notice they dont come with MB cards- what kind do i need? and is 126MB enough?- ill probably shoot about 10 photos an evening at full resolution- thx john
harpspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:06 AM   #2

You'll need Compact Flash (CF) cards. Either type I or type II accepted. 128 would be the bare minimum unless you plan on taking your images at the lowest resolutions. My recommendation is to get 512 mb cards and shoot at the highest resolutions
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3

I found a Sandisk CF 512mb card on sale and rebate for less than the going rate on a 126mb card.

Get as big a card as you can afford.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:36 PM   #4

thx guys, i wasnt aware any 'CF' card would work being new to digital stuff- john
harpspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:52 AM   #5

My only expansion on the info above is a warning. Some SanDisk cards are very slow (others are not.) Do not buy one that doesn't list a speed rating. And get one that is 12x an up. Personally, I went with 32x and 40x Lexar cards.

SanDisk makes one that has no rating that is (probably) the slowest card made.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 8:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
My only expansion on the info above is a warning. Some SanDisk cards are very slow (others are not.) Do not buy one that doesn't list a speed rating. And get one that is 12x an up. Personally, I went with 32x and 40x Lexar cards.

SanDisk makes one that has no rating that is (probably) the slowest card made.

Eric
I disagreee. For his purposes speed is of no concern anyway. So a slower cheaper card is as good than a fast card. Or he can buy a larger slower card fot the price of a fast card.

Further i noticed no difference when i borrowed a fast Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB from a friend, and compared it with my "slow" 1 GB Dane-elec and Sandisk 1 GB cards on my 10D.
(only during a test run we measured a difference, a continuous burst of 20 images, the card was about 3 seconds faster ready. )
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:55 AM   #7

If we could guarrenty that he will *never, ever* take any other type of photo than an astro shot, then I completely agree. Since I doubt that this will be true, I think getting a slow card in trade for more space is not a wise choice. But getting something of a reasonable speed is wiser. That is why I suggested 12x or more.

I'm not saying he buy an Ultra II (and never intended to) but I'm saying that since he has admited to being new to the digital camera word he should be aware that there is a speed difference and that SanDisk has a card with no speed rating that is slow.

In my personal experience, I can see the difference between the 32x and 40x in shorter bursts (I regularly shoot 2-3 shots at a time.) It doesn't always matter, but I can see it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:39 AM   #8

Keep in mind the longer you stay with it the more memory cards you will eventually accumulate. Memory is always getting larger, faster and cheaper so the amount you spend on a card today you will get better performance (speed and space) for the same price down the road. With only Ten planned shots per night a 128mb card would do the trick but like Eric says you will most likely use your camera for other events. I personally went for picture economy and not speed when I purchased my CF card. Iím used to this level of speed from my card so it doesnít bother me, I donít drive a race car to work either :twisted: so I donít miss the extra couple of minutes in the commute.

Bottom line: speed and MBs are directly proportionate to cost. Increase one and sacrifice the other. 8)
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:36 PM   #9

Here is a great link I just found. It is very specific to the rebel. Hope it helps...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425