Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:54 PM   #21

I love how Canon users everywhere are drooling over the 5D MkIII...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:17 AM   #22

i'm not in any hurry to shell out $3500 for the Mk3 - aside from improved AF and higher ISO, it's really not that much of an upgrade from the Mk2 for me. i've heard interesting rumblings, though, that Canon will be bringing out a second FF body, optimized for low-light, and maybe with a bit more resolution, for a lower MSRP. the Mk3 is optimized for video as well as stills, and the new xD would be optimized purely for still photography at high ISO settings. since i shoot landscapes, and couldn't care less about video, something like that would be very intriguing, if the rumors are true. i think i'm gonna wait an' see what else Canon has up their collective sleeves before i seriously consider shelling out over 3 grand for a new camera...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:33 AM   #23
Super Moderator

I think the 5D3 upgrade makes a lot of sense for the vast bulk of working professionals shooting wedding, portrait, a bit of local sports, photojournalism, etc.

But not necessarily to rush out and buy a whole new batch and get rid of their 5D2s, just that when it comes time for the old cameras to be replaced they are going to get a camera that's better in every respect.

For the fine-art landscape crowd and many serious amateurs that have been using the 5D2, the 5D3 is much less compelling. We would be at least as likely to switch over to the D800 as to upgrade to the 5D3.

For myself, the 5D2 is more than good enough. So if I had to replace it I think my choice would be either another 5D2, or switch over to the D800 because I would find the extra pixels useful sometimes. No rush at all though, and if Canon could bring out a different model exactly like the 5D2 except with more pixels that would suit me better.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:46 AM   #24

Agree! The 5d2 works very well for weddings, portraits, landscapes (mostly static or slow moving subjects).
Not so good for sports, action photojournalism, wildlife where things can get moving fast.
I think the 5d3 will be of interest to that second set of photographers, if they are looking for something different and lighter than the 1d.

For my work the 5d2's are working fine, no plan to rush out and upgrade unless one of the old 5d2's breaks and the repair cost outweighs its age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
I think the 5D3 upgrade makes a lot of sense for the vast bulk of working professionals shooting wedding, portrait, a bit of local sports, photojournalism, etc.

But not necessarily to rush out and buy a whole new batch and get rid of their 5D2s, just that when it comes time for the old cameras to be replaced they are going to get a camera that's better in every respect..
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
I think the 5d3 will be of interest to that second set of photographers, if they are looking for something different and lighter than the 1d.
Yep - I'm in that category. My 1dIII is a large beast and a pain on vacations and outings. I don't shoot nearly the amount of sports I used to, but I still shoot them so I need quality focus ability.

Now I am just hoping Sony will bring out their full frame(s) and knock the price down to about $2900 USD where it should be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:47 PM   #26
BDD

Curious. For 5D3 owners with the portrait grip add-on. Does it give you more FPS over the 6 FPS w/o the grip?

Last edited by BDD; Apr 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:52 PM   #27

Default Houston, we have a problem.....

From Canon's website:

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for using Canon products.

The phenomenon described below has been confirmed when using the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.

Canon is now examining the countermeasures and once the countermeasures are decided, we will post the information on our Web site.

Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change as a result of the AE sensorís detection of light from the LCD panel.

Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

Support
Once the preparations are complete, we will be making an announcement on our Web site.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon

Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

Thank you,
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc
Contact Information for InquiriesCanon Customer Support CenterPhone: 1-800-OK-CANON1-800-652-2666TDD:1-866-251-3752Email:[email protected] For additional support options: www.usa.canon.com/support
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote