Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:06 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Canon 5D MkIII

Come on folks. There's hysteria everywhere and not a word here.

My reaction is that it looks great!

A substantial upgrade to everything except resolution:
  • Much better AF.
  • Better High-ISO.
  • Better frame rate.
  • Better Video.
  • Better weather sealing.
I'm quite relieved because I don't feel any particular need to upgrade. I don't need any of those things. Phew!

It probably does mean that there will be a new 40-ish Mp camera on the way at some point fairly soon though.
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:32 AM   #2

Yes, I've been reading posts with great humor this morning. It's interesting that this camera seems like an upgrade to Nikon's d700 and the D800 seems like a 5dII upgrade.

There are, of course, people that are disappointed it's not 100mp camera. But, I think the biggest question will be around how Canon's new sensor really performs. Canon has been developing their own sensors and it used to be a competitive advantage. Sony sensors have been thumping them though.

For me, I agree with what you said as big gains. The 2 disappointing things are:
1) no built-in flash, so you have to (again) buy a wireless transmitter to control remote flashes. I like that they're going RF - that's good. But built-in is better.

2) price. They really needed to announce at $3000, IMO. Here is where I predict Sony will help Canon users - I fully expect Sony to use this opportunity to make a big push for market share. I expect them to push out something with a price tag around $2600 and undercut both Canon & Nikon. Combined with ludicrous number of MP and better video AF than either Canon or Nikon I expect it to be serious competition.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:14 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Pricing is very interesting and can be quite different in the US to the rest of the world.

In the US for example Nikons and Sony always seem to be much cheaper than Canons, relatively speaking.

In the US the pricing, whilst the ranges were still mainstream, was Sony A850, A900 cheaper than Nikon D700, Canon 5D2 most expensive.

In the UK it was exactly reversed with the Canon being the cheapest and the A850 being more than both and only about 50 cheaper than the A900.

UK launch prices look like:

D800 2400
D800E 2670
5D3 3000

I agree the Canon looks fairly expensive by comparison. But Canon prices seem to fall quite quickly.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:23 AM   #4

For the high ISO junkies...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03...kiii-isoseries
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:16 AM   #5

apart from the price it looks and sounds great
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:25 AM   #6

B&H is listing it for 3500$us
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Mark_III.html

Way to much for too little in improvements over what I have now, at least for me
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:54 AM   #7

The Mk. 111 is finally here. Always liked the FF 5D series and this new one looks great.

About Sony FF DSLR's. I was surprised that the Sony 850 didn't take off as well as I thought it would.

I'm no industry insider....but I have wondered if the fact that (if my memory serves me correctly) that Canon's price reduction of the 5D Mk. 11, after the intro of the 850 somewhat blunted Sony's prospects with the economy model FF...the 850 ?

I don't know, just speculation on my part. While I don't have any Sony equipment....I use Pentax and Canon equipment....I must say that my three Pentax DSLR's use Sony sensors and I have been absolutely (touch wood) impressed with these sensors.

Sony does make fine sensors....used in other cameras...such as Pentax and Nikon.

But I eagerly await the first tests and pictures from the new Canon 5D Mk. 111.

Looks like another winner.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Honestily the D800 looks more camera for the money compared to the Canon. personally i feel canon may have lost his foothold on the FF market for good.

The same camera priced like its previous gen 5D may have won some buyers. But almost 500 dollars over D800 doesnt make sense at all.

Sorry Canon, i still use your 1D mark III and dont regret. But your price point is just insane and D800 makes more sense for FF need with such a huge MP and not so BAD iso.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I like what they've done, think it has the right features and the price, although a little high isn't bad. I would like to see how the Canon and Nikon bodies pan out price wise in 6 months time when everything has settled down and comparisons are in.

For me I see no need to upg at the moment, the mkII is serving me fine, although I am just adding a 35mm f1.4 for low light indoor/shallow DOF goodness, I would want that lens anyway even with the new body.

To justify I would need to have a major look and feel/style benefit of what I'm shooting with now to pump my wedding prices and get the money back but as it is there is nothing there that will do that. I wouldn't complain about having faster/better AF but that is really the only thing I desire.

Even so, I think Canon answered the questions that people had been asking with this body.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:22 AM   #10

I like the look and feel on this camera especially a dedicated button for video and the position of the power on/off switch. Is it worth to upgrade of the 5D MKII user? I think not, at least not at this price! Mark is right about wait and see after 6 months to see how things will shake down. At this point, the new Nikon 800 probably has the edge in pricing and features. I am anxious to see the test review to see how good the 5D MKIII is. What is Canon thinking?
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Mar 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote