Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
BDD

Default DSLR's in HD video REC mode

For owners of 7D/5D2...do you hear clicks from the camera when shooting HD video? I recently bought a s100 point and shoot...and noticed the clicks. Did some searching in the P&S Canon forum and noticed I'm not alone. That this is "normal"?? Tell me this is something that only happens with P&S cameras. And why?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...ml#post1290925
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:44 PM   #2

I own a Canon 7D, using it only very occasionally for video. I've not noticed any 'clicking' sound - though then again I have not recorded in a 'pure silent' environment and played back at full volume to see if I can hear any 'click's. I normally record where there is some sound / interaction or background noise (eg children playing, traffic, birds calling, etc).

What I do notice, is that if I autofocus, the focus motor searching for focus is picked up quite loudly by the built-in microphone. Usually I prefocus and/or manually focus... but occasionally I will use autofocus. However it usually racks from infinity to MFD in that process, so it's not ideal.

I hope my post is helpful and others willalso contribute their thoughts / opinions / experience.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:58 PM   #3
BDD

I've been doing some research (e.g. posting on forums, Google...etc.). Sounds like if you use the built-in mic on a DSLR it will always pick up noises (e.g. AF motor,hand movement...etc.). But you won't pickup sounds from the various in-camera motors (as is the case with P&S cameras...there's an annoying "clicking" or "knocking" sound).

I guess I'll be investing in a RODE stereo VideoMic Pro external mic (which do have shock mounts). They seem to do a good job of giving you a relatively clean sound with the mic mounted in the hot shoe (or otherwise). Which is what you'd want if you plan to move around the camera. Plus they have a bypass feature butting off sounds below 75Hz (e.g. a/c motor).

Will I also buy an audio recorder (e.g. Zoom H1)? Dunno...

Thanks Paul. Great DSLR you have in the 7D. If I was in the market for my first DSLR that would be the one and I wouldn't now be looking at the 5D3. Very capable DSLR for the hobbyist. Great design. Hard to find fault with.

Last edited by BDD; Mar 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote