Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:56 PM   #21

The frustrating thing for me is that I need so few of the features on that camera. Even the 10D (in some ways) has more features than I need.

But what I need is:

Better AF. Faster focusing, better subject tracking, more accuracy.

What I want is:
  • Deeper buffer. On occasion (10+ times in the past 6 months) I've run out of shots when I really want to take more. When the Osprey is flying overhead at 10' above me. Usually I don't run out, but some times I do.
  • Faster frame rate. Not required, but would be nice at times.
But to get those, I have to move up to a Pro camera (amazingly flexable, lots of functionalty, more than I need...) and a price point for businesses not consumers.

Now that I think about it... I don't think the camera I want will be made. It would hurt sales of other (profitable) cameras models. I don't expect anyone to make something like the 10D/D100 with the AF system of the 1DII or D2H, about 5 frames a second and 20-30 picture buffer.

I think I'll save that $4,000 and use it towards a new-to-me lens... probably a Canon 600mm IS f/4. I've still got lots to learn and I'll learn just fine on the 10D.

Eric

ps. Now I just have to convince myself that a use 1D wouldn't be handy.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:41 PM   #22

what are nikon doing? The 1d mark II has double the pixels, faster pics/s and the same frame buffer.

what does nikon have that can make it a competitor?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:11 PM   #23
NHL

Quote:
... The D70! it's priced about right and not like a de-featured 300D. IMO its positioned to take on the 10D sales, a marvelous marketing move for folks undecided between the 300D/10D...

So far I haven't heard (or read) any AF complaint from the Nikon camp, and this camera also has instant ON (just like the D2h)! :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Quote:
... The D70! it's priced about right and not like a de-featured 300D. IMO its positioned to take on the 10D sales, a marvelous marketing move for folks undecided between the 300D/10D...

So far I haven't heard (or read) any AF complaint from the Nikon camp, and this camera also has instant ON (just like the D2h)! :P
competitor to the 1D Mark II i meant
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:01 PM   #25

Onecall.com already posted this Canon 1D MkII on their website with the asking price of $4,499, actual sale price may be a bit lower.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:17 PM   #26

[quote="NHL"]
Quote:
You realize, don't you, that Nikon has simply *announced* the D70. It's not available for another couple of months, yet, assuming the release is on schedule. How can there be any AF complaints against a camera that noone has used?

David
drgreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:48 AM   #27
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgreenberg
You realize, don't you, that Nikon has simply *announced* the D70. It's not available for another couple of months, yet, assuming the release is on schedule. How can there be any AF complaints against a camera that noone has used?
I'm fully aware thank you... My reference is toward the existing D100 which unlike 10D (or the Digital Rebel) have seen a fair share of focusing issues in theses forums... Ditto with the ETTL flash under/overexposure problems, which is now rectified on the 1D mrkII and hopefully with all new Canon's releases onward!

IMO the focusing problem is a non-issue and is related to the oversized AF sensors in relation to their red markers in the viewfinder. I don't have this AF problem even on non-OEM lenses while others still do with Canon's own lenses... May be the AF sensors in the Nikon's are just more logically arranged with their markers (and not inferring that one system is superior to the other) since it's extremely quiet on this front in the Nikon forums!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote