Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:06 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I have used the 5D & 5D2 in light rain many times without any problems or special precautions. (I live in England after all.)

But I don't stand in heavy rain for hours on end, and take reasonable efforts to keep them away from extreme conditions.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:32 AM   #12

From what I have been reading the new 5diii does have improved weather sealing.

Agree I have not had issues in light rain & snow.
For the heavier stuff I uses rain covers, which seem to work well.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:36 PM   #13
BDD

I don't think 5D3 owners will have anything to worry about shooting in the rain or snow. As the 5D3 has "improved" weather sealing. It was the 5D2 that had some issues (http://prakashphotography.blogspot.c...i-weather.html) compared to other cameras like the Nikon D700.

Time will tell with the 5D3 as people are only getting theirs now. But I doubt there will be any problems.

For me, as a hobbyist, if there's a snow storm or pour rain I "ain't" going out shooting. I go out shooting when I'm in the mood. If I were making a living as a photographer and I was the least bit concerned with weather sealing I'd opt for the 1D-X. As it should have Canon's "best" weather sealing.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:51 PM   #14

Quote:
As the 5D3 has "improved" weather sealing. It was the 5D2 that had some issues (http://prakashphotography.blogspot.c...i-weather.html) compared to other cameras like the Nikon D700.
Aint competition grand?! Olympus, Pentax, Nikon all offer weather sealing in sub $2000 bodies. It's like automatic windows on a car. At some point, it has to be standard equipment.

The more competition, the more consumers get better products.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:14 PM   #15
BDD

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have weather sealing across the board. From the Rebel to the 1D-X. Perhaps it's just a matter of time. How many years will this take? Will it happen?

The 5D2's that were failing I think were unique cases. Even if the number of alleged cases is more than is acceptable (25% of 5D2's? Really??). Most, if not all cameras (P&S/SLR/DSLR) will withstand a light spritz of rain or light snow flurries. Even those w/o any weather sealing. The average user needs to use a little common sense.

So, until there's enough of a demand across the board...

Last edited by BDD; Mar 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote