Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:59 PM   #1
BDD

Default 5D3 price drop...already.

Local franchise camera shops in Toronto have already begun offering the 5D3 at $100.00 CAD (http://www.henrys.com/69407-CANON-EO...-SLR-BODY.aspx) off the initial asking price of $3800.00. Better than nothing.

Surprised they've already begun lowering the price and the 5D3 are only now beginning to hit the market. Officially I think the date is the 22nd of this month. I wonder what the asking price will be around Xmas time. Hmmm...
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:47 PM   #2

At the moment the camera is vastly overpriced compared to its counterpart the 5D2 , which came in at around 1800 GBP for the body originally. The 5D3 is not that much better and certainly doesnt justify the 3000 gbp tag it currently has, I would expect the value to drop dramatically throughout the year as the initial sales drop off and should see it drop 1000 before xmas .....
andrew davies photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:21 PM   #3
BDD

I agree. The current asking price is too high. In Toronto it's selling for $3800 CAD (with the exception of Aden Camera offering it for $100.00 CAD less). If it does drop by $1000 by Xmas I'll be happy but I'm doubtful. Not so soon. At least not in Toronto. I'd be surprised to see it drop by $500 CAD by Xmas. And it'd have to drop by that much for me to plunk down my money. But it is the next DSLR I'm buying.

I don't think the 5D2 has ever dropped by 1k in Toronto. Lowest price it's sold for was $1999.95 CAD and that was only a month or so before the 5D3 was announced. When the 5D3 was announced the price went back up to near $2500.00 CAD which is close to where the 5D2 originally sold for when it debuted 3 years ago.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:46 AM   #4

The badly overpriced 5d-mkiii is
listing for $3 699.00 at most Toronto shops now.
$3,699cdn at Downtown Camera $4179.87cdn after tax
$3,699cdn at Henry's $4179.87cdn after tax
$3,699cdn at Aden Camera $4179.87cdn after tax
$3,799cdn at Vistek 4292.87$cdn after tax

In the USA it is listing for
$3,499US at BHPhoto, adding customs and shipping charges to Toronto brings it to $3,995.13us

US/Canada exchange rate has been running at par lately.

Seems a lot cheaper to buy it from the USA if you really want to spring that much for it.

Last edited by PeterP; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:44 AM   #5
Super Moderator

You guys have it so easy.
Going on sale in the UK for 3000 inc VAT.

4,764.42 USD
4,742.38 CAD

Needless to say I'm not going to be rushing out to buy one. I think I can manage with my 5D2 for a while longer.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
BDD

While it would be cheaper to buy from B&H (savings of just under $180 CAD) I think I'd still buy from a Henry's or Aden Camera (more Henry's). Just in case. Even though the chances of getting a faulty 5D3 is fairly slim these days.

Peripatetic. Are you from London? If so be glad you're not from down under (Australia) where the cost of electronics are truly mad.

For $4742.xx CAD I could buy a new Nikon D3s and a CF card. I just don't like carrying around the bulk and weight of a D3 body. Being a hobbyist and that I plan to take my camera gear on my travels.

Hope there's a noticeable price drop come Xmas (e.g. $500.00 CAD less $3700 CAD).

Last edited by BDD; Mar 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:59 AM   #7

BDD: The size/weight issue you bring up is definitely a consideration. For the last few years, my dslr has been the 1dIII. That's my camera for EVERYTHING. So when I go on vacation, it's the 1dIII making the trip. The focus system on the 5dII is the main reason I never went that route. This camera could be very appealing - once the price comes down a tad in 6-8 months.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:58 PM   #8
BDD

JohnG. More so for hobbyists like myself. "Size matters".

Given the choice...shooting situation permitting...I think any outdoor, on the move photog (as opposed to studio photogs), would opt for a lighter/compact body like the 5D's.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:22 PM   #9

Agree about the smaller weight for traveling.
I don't know what the weather sealing is like on the new 5dmkiii, in the original 5d and mkii it was terrible.
Lot of the bodies failed due to exposure to the elements.

Hopefully that is really fixed on the new iteration.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:30 PM   #10
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Agree about the smaller weight for traveling.
I don't know what the weather sealing is like on the new 5dmkiii, in the original 5d and mkii it was terrible.
Lot of the bodies failed due to exposure to the elements.

Hopefully that is really fixed on the new iteration.
Being that I won't have my 5D3 till around Xmas time (before or after) I can't speak about it's weather sealing. Nor have I heard anything about it. And being that I'm just a hobbyist with so much money budgeted for camera gear I'm not going to buy a 5D3 (in full up front) and go shooting in the rain. Or during a mild sand storm in Dubai.

I think the only time we should be concerned is when we are shooting with DSLRs where manufacturers tell you those cameras don't have weather sealing. Shoot in said weather conditions at your own risk.

If I damage a new 5D3 no one is going to buy me another.