Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:04 PM   #1

Default T-Adapter for the Digital Rebel

I'm considering replacing my film SLR with the Digital Rebel. Since I have an interest in astrophotography, I need to know if there is a T-adapter that will allow me to couple the Rebel to a telescope. I've seen some at B&H Photo's web site that claim to be for Canon EOS which I assume includes the Rebel, but I would like to hear from someone who has tried one before buying.

I'm planning to email the manufacturers of the ones on B&H's web site to see if they're compatible with the Rebel. I've also emailed Canon to see if they made one, but was told they don't support connecting the Rebel to a telescope.

Has anyone had experience in connecting the Rebel to a telescope?

Thanks

John
JohnPlenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:09 PM   #2

T adapters for EOS Canon fit the DR but (of course) make no electrical contact so you are limited to Av and M modes. I use mine on an old 400mm preset tele and am very satisfied.

I might add that you can also get M42 to EOS adapters if you might find it easier to find mounting adapters for Pentax thread. I use one of those on my microscope. Samples of both are shown on my site below.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:05 PM   #3

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the quick response and the information. Could you tell me what brand of T adapter you used? I just received an email from Swift saying that none of their T-adapters work on any digital camera. I'm wondering if the lady who emailed me simply doesn't realize what the Rebel is since B&H's website has one from Swift (model T6A) listed as being for Canon EOS with autofocus. I would have expected that one to work with the Rebel.

Thanks

John
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:22 PM   #4

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...5&cmCat=SEARCH

Mine is Quantaray from Ritz Camera but I can't see why brand would make any difference. My guess, and only a guess, is the person who told you that their adapters didn't work with digital cameras was refering to point and shoot digitals rather than SLR's.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:30 PM   #5

I agree with your guess that the lady from Swift thinks the Rebel is a point & shoot and doesn't reallize it's an SLR. I'm planning to email her again tomorrow and point that out and see if she changes her answer. My interest in brand name was to find out one which another user had tested and could verify was compatible just in case the lady from Swift was right. Thanks.