Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:02 PM   #1

Default Lens keeps falling off.......

So I guess it's only happened twice, but still, I'm lucky I had fast reflexes both times. Both times, I've just been shooting ordinary photos-architecture interiors, product shots, etc. Nothing fancy, no war photography, etc. So yea, both times I ran into the same scenario. I tried to take the picture, and the autofocus box inside the viewfinder wouldn't light up. I thought, "odd" but hit down the shutter anyways. Then the camera says "err" in the viewfinder, and both times I looked at the camera, and the lens was loose and about to fall off. Now, is this a problem with my body or with my lens?

It's a 60D and a 24-70L I.

Thanks for any help!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:20 PM   #2

I'd say a problem with either the way you're handling it or the spring tension in the lens release button. Any chance you've been carrying the camera by the barrel of the lens and accidentally squeezing the lens release button?
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:24 PM   #3

Does it always happen with the same lens?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4

I'm handling it fine, I do sometimes hold it by the barrel but I don't touch the lens release button. I suppose maybe?

And yes, it always happens with the same lens, but that's because I use it 90% of the time. I also use a 70-200L and a 50 1.8, but rarely do I use them.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:04 PM   #5

... so it never happens with the other lenses.

Do you notice anything different about the mount on the 24-70, when comparing it to the 50/1.8 or 70-200? All the flanges of the bayonet are ok? Is the camera's lens lock pin worn? is the lens' lock pin receptical worn?
Old May 9, 2012, 7:07 PM   #6

So sorry for the late response, work has been hectic.

No, nothing really seems different compared to the other lens.

Also going back to before, I must say that since the 24-70 is the lens that's on my camera most of the time, it's possible I've just never experienced it with my other lenses, so it might still be the body? Not sure.

Thank you so much as usual for your help.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:05 AM   #7

The only think I can think of is that either the lens locking pin (on the body) is worn, or the recess that the lens locking pin fits into (on the lens) is worn.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:42 AM   #8

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine. The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it. I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off. Blogs are full of complaints of this occurance on mkii's.
This is definitely a design flaw. It's not user error. The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release or have a detent position.
It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera. Be forewarned.
michaelgirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgirman View Post
My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine. The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it. I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off. Blogs are full of complaints of this occurance on mkii's.
This is definitely a design flaw. It's not user error. The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release or have a detent position.
It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera. Be forewarned.
You started with the Miii, skipped midpost to the Mii, and the original poster has a 60D. Just observations
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote