Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 1, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Missing warranty card!!! New Canon 5D Mark III without warranty card?

I have received my Canon 5D Mark III today without warranty card. I bought it from "getitdigital" off from ebay. They claim that it is brand new USA product with 1 year USA warranty.

I have called Canon and they say that I need both the receipt AND the warranty card to have warranty for the camera.

I have called the store but they told me that they will email me the warranty card... It sounds strange....

Did any of you guys had the same experience with any cameras? what should I do? Should send it back and ask for a refund?
Old May 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Administrator

I see nothing in the Canon Warranty doc that says you need the Warranty card.

Needing a Warranty card for service would be very unusual. Warranty registration with most products is just designed to get you on manufacturer's mailing list for marketing purposes, and to notify you of updates, recalls, etc., with only your Proof of Purchase needed for service.

The instructions for sending a camera in for service in the Canon USA EOS Warranty only mention needing a dated proof of purchase (your receipt). Here's that doc:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/sup...tal_camera.pdf

It' is my understand that a valid Canon USA Warranty Card is needed for rebates, and they also use that to put you on the mailing list for updates, etc.

But, you can register one online here for update and marketing related notifications:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/regist...os_5d_mark_iii

I suspect the registration process is designed to verify the Serial Number is from a USA (versus a Gray Market Camera not intended for sale in the U.S.), and I think they use something like AA at the end for USA cameras, to make sure it's not Gray Market. But, I don't know for sure if they check that kind of thing and what parts of the serial number are used for the region code in newer models.

With most manufacturers, the Warranty Card is not needed for Warranty Service (with the exception of some of the "International" type warranties that need to be validated by the seller), as long as you have the Original Receipt and you're the original purchaser of the Camera.

Now, you can get into gray areas with some Manufacturers, where if the dealer is not an Authorized USA Dealer, then they may not consider you as the Original Purchaser of a camera and eligible for warranty service (since they'd consider the unauthorized dealer you bought it from to be the original purchaser, and the warranties are usually not transferable).

Nikon is very strict about that kind of thing (you need to make sure you buy from an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer to get service from Nikon USA).

From what I've seen posted by others, Canon is not as picky in that area. But, I'd still make sure the dealer I bought a camera from is an Authorized Canon USA Dealer to err on the side of caution. As the old saying goes, "if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is" ;-)

Of course, YMMV, and I personally wouldn't buy a camera from most sellers located in the NYC area, especially anywhere near Brooklyn (or "Crooklyn" as it's sometimes referred to in digital camera forums, since most of the "shady" dealers are located there), with very few exceptions like B&H, Adorama, and J&R.

Here's the address for the vendor you bought it from (as shown in the admin and technical contact info sections in their web sites' whois records)

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0094.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 1:14 PM   #3

I have never had to send canon the warranty car, just always sent them the receipt. Very strange.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I see nothing in the Canon Warranty doc that says you need the Warranty card.

Needing a Warranty card for service would be very unusual. Warranty registration with most products is just designed to get you on manufacturer's mailing list for marketing purposes, and to notify you of updates, recalls, etc., with only your Proof of Purchase needed for service.

The instructions for sending a camera in for service in the Canon USA EOS Warranty only mention needing a dated proof of purchase (your receipt). Here's that doc:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/sup...tal_camera.pdf

It' is my understand that a valid Canon USA Warranty Card is needed for rebates, and they also use that to put you on the mailing list for updates, etc.

But, you can register one online here for update and marketing related notifications:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/regist...os_5d_mark_iii

I suspect the registration process is designed to verify the Serial Number is from a USA (versus a Gray Market Camera not intended for sale in the U.S.), and I think they use something like AA at the end for USA cameras, to make sure it's not Gray Market. But, I don't know for sure if they check that kind of thing and what parts of the serial number are used for the region code in newer models.

With most manufacturers, the Warranty Card is not needed for Warranty Service (with the exception of some of the "International" type warranties that need to be validated by the seller), as long as you have the Original Receipt and you're the original purchaser of the Camera.

Now, you can get into gray areas with some Manufacturers, where if the dealer is not an Authorized USA Dealer, then they may not consider you as the Original Purchaser of a camera and eligible for warranty service (since they'd consider the unauthorized dealer you bought it from to be the original purchaser, and the warranties are usually not transferable).

Nikon is very strict about that kind of thing (you need to make sure you buy from an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer to get service from Nikon USA).

From what I've seen posted by others, Canon is not as picky in that area. But, I'd still make sure the dealer I bought a camera from is an Authorized Canon USA Dealer to err on the side of caution. As the old saying goes, "if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is" ;-)

Of course, YMMV, and I personally wouldn't buy a camera from most sellers located in the NYC area, especially anywhere near Brooklyn (or "Crooklyn" as it's sometimes referred to in digital camera forums, since most of the "shady" dealers are located there), with very few exceptions like B&H, Adorama, and J&R.

Here's the address for the vendor you bought it from (as shown in the admin and technical contact info sections in their web sites' whois records)

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0094.htm
I feel a little bit better. I hope it won't fail on my within the first year. After then it doesn't really matter, I would have to pay for any repairs...
Old May 1, 2012, 1:25 PM   #5
Administrator

I'd see if the online registration works for it, as it will probably check to see if it's a serial number for a Canon USA camera (versus a gray market camera intended for sale in a different region), or one that's already been registered using the card so a rebate could be claimed.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:18 AM   #6

I have just got a new lens and i registered it online (thats UK bought) looked at the USA site and it does look a little different but you have to register and then get a user id and sign in. that may be the way forward
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 5:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami photographer View Post
I have received my Canon 5D Mark III today without warranty card. I bought it from "getitdigital" off from ebay. They claim that it is brand new USA product with 1 year USA warranty.
Did they claim to be an authorized Canon retailer?

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami photographer View Post
...I bought it from "getitdigital" off from ebay. They claim that it is brand new USA product with 1 year USA warranty.
Be careful about the exact wording of Warranty Claims, as you'll find a *lot* of Ebay sellers using language like "1 year USA warranty", when they mean a store warranty versus manufacturer's warranty. ;-)

I do see that some of their Canon camera listings say "100% Brand New Canon USA Model with Canon USA Warranty". So, that's a good sign (that they specifically say "Canon USA Warranty" versus "USA Warranty" (as you mentioned in your original post to this thread). Did the listing you bought from say "Canon USA Warranty", or only "USA Warranty" without "Canon" part in front?

But, if they're not an Authorized Canon USA Dealer, then Canon may not consider you to be the original purchaser of the camera (which is one reason Helen was probably asking you if they are an authorized Canon retailer), and most warranties are *not* transferable should Canon decide to be picky about it and say that you are not the original purchaser, even if it is a USA model (since they could consider the reseller to be the original purchaser).

I also see that some of their Nikon listings do *not* show that they have a Nikon USA Warranty. even though they say things like "USA Warranty" (they leave out the Nikon USA Part). That tells me that they're probably not an Authorized Nikon USA dealer (and they cameras could be gray market).

BTW, Nikon is very picky about that kind of thing. Even if it is a Nikon USA camera, they won't provide any warranty service if you're not the original purchaser from an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer, since you wouldn't be the original purchaser from an Authorized Dealer -- the [not an authorized Nikon USA dealer] reseller would, and the warranty is not transferable.

If the camera is gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.), guess what? Nikon USA will refuse to service it at all, period, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. So, it's not just the ability to get warranty service, as you may not be able to get it serviced at all by Nikon USA.

So, good luck with the store "USA Warranty" in that case, as you typically need very specialized equipment and software to perform some of the service needed and parts can be difficult to obtain, too.

Canon is not quite as "picky" about those kinds of things from what I've seen posted. But, they might be changing their policies, and they may have no obligation to fix cameras that were not purchased through their authorized dealer network in the region you're in (since the reseller that bought it may be considered the original purchaser, not you).

IOW, unless you want to trust the dealer's repair personnel, or send the camera back to Japan to the manufacturer (not the authorized distributor in a country like the U.S., where the distributors like Nikon USA have no obligation to fix cameras that were purchased outside of their dealer network), then you're "taking your chances" on being able to get a camera repaired without "jumping through hoops" if you did not purchase it from an Authorized Dealer in the country you want service in. ;-)

Personally, I would never buy from a vendor other than B&H, Adorama or J&R in the NYC area, especially one located in Brooklyn, since that's where most of the shady dealers are located, where they seem to be able to get away with shoddy selling tactics.

As a general rule of thumb, if a deal looks "too good to be true", it probably is.

Pricing is very competitive, and when you see lower prices than reputable dealers like http://www.adorama.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com have on a camera or lens from a major manufacturer (Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.) , there is probably a [usually bad for you] reason for it, since the Manufacturer's Distributors in the U.S. usually enforce MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with their Authorized Dealers.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
No. They tried to avoid the question, which means that they are not. Well, I have learned the lesson. So far no problem with the camera. I have just shot a wedding with it last weekend. Still this stinks...!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Be careful about the exact wording of Warranty Claims, as you'll find a *lot* of Ebay sellers using language like "1 year USA warranty", when they mean a store warranty versus manufacturer's warranty. ;-)

I do see that some of their Canon camera listings say "100% Brand New Canon USA Model with Canon USA Warranty". So, that's a good sign (that they specifically say "Canon USA Warranty" versus "USA Warranty" (as you mentioned in your original post to this thread). Did the listing you bought from say "Canon USA Warranty", or only "USA Warranty" without "Canon" part in front?

But, if they're not an Authorized Canon USA Dealer, then Canon may not consider you to be the original purchaser of the camera (which is one reason Helen was probably asking you if they are an authorized Canon retailer), and most warranties are *not* transferable should Canon decide to be picky about it and say that you are not the original purchaser, even if it is a USA model (since they could consider the reseller to be the original purchaser).

I also see that some of their Nikon listings do *not* show that they have a Nikon USA Warranty. even though they say things like "USA Warranty" (they leave out the Nikon USA Part). That tells me that they're probably not an Authorized Nikon USA dealer (and they cameras could be gray market).

BTW, Nikon is very picky about that kind of thing. Even if it is a Nikon USA camera, they won't provide any warranty service if you're not the original purchaser from an Authorized Nikon USA Dealer, since you wouldn't be the original purchaser from an Authorized Dealer -- the [not an authorized Nikon USA dealer] reseller would, and the warranty is not transferable.

If the camera is gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.), guess what? Nikon USA will refuse to service it at all, period, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. So, it's not just the ability to get warranty service, as you may not be able to get it serviced at all by Nikon USA.

So, good luck with the store "USA Warranty" in that case, as you typically need very specialized equipment and software to perform some of the service needed and parts can be difficult to obtain, too.

Canon is not quite as "picky" about those kinds of things from what I've seen posted. But, they might be changing their policies, and they may have no obligation to fix cameras that were not purchased through their authorized dealer network in the region you're in (since the reseller that bought it may be considered the original purchaser, not you).

IOW, unless you want to trust the dealer's repair personnel, or send the camera back to Japan to the manufacturer (not the authorized distributor in a country like the U.S., where the distributors like Nikon USA have no obligation to fix cameras that were purchased outside of their dealer network), then you're "taking your chances" on being able to get a camera repaired without "jumping through hoops" if you did not purchase it from an Authorized Dealer in the country you want service in. ;-)

Personally, I would never buy from a vendor other than B&H, Adorama or J&R in the NYC area, especially one located in Brooklyn, since that's where most of the shady dealers are located, where they seem to be able to get away with shoddy selling tactics.

As a general rule of thumb, if a deal looks "too good to be true", it probably is.

Pricing is very competitive, and when you see lower prices than reputable dealers like http://www.adorama.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com have on a camera or lens from a major manufacturer (Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.) , there is probably a [usually bad for you] reason for it, since the Manufacturer's Distributors in the U.S. usually enforce MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with their Authorized Dealers.

I agree: " As a general rule of thumb, if a deal looks "too good to be true", it probably is." Never again. Either adorama ir B+H!!!