Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 8, 2012, 8:42 PM   #1

Default Upgrade!

I had the opportunity to upgrade from my year-old T3i w/14k shutter count to a month-old 7D w/200 shutter count. Needless to say I jumped on it. First impressions: this thing is a beast compared to my T3i. Taller, heavier, and just feels more solid in my grip when holding it. The shutter sound is 180 different sounding from my T3i too. I think it'll take some getting used to it as I was intimately familiar with the shutter sound of my Rebel. IQ took a little work to get sorted out as nothing seemed tack sharp until I messed around a little with the micro adjustment - now things seem pretty well sorted out.

Overall I'm very happy with the upgrade...and now to start all over with memorizing the button layout until I can hit them without even thinking about it!

7D by Quadna71, on Flickr
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2012, 9:49 PM   #2

The 7d is a nice upgrade especially if you shoot action.
Old May 11, 2012, 3:01 PM   #3

Nice upgrade. Which lens did you have to MFA?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
Nice upgrade. Which lens did you have to MFA?
My 200/2.8L was very crisp with +7.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 6:49 PM   #5

I upgraded from the Canon 350D (which I've had since 350D) to the Canon 7D about 2 and a half years ago. I haven't looked back. The 7D's superior handling, AF and image quality were welcome to me. I got used to the 7D's sound very quickly. In particular the 7D's view finder and screen have been great practical benefits, as well as the higher ISO possibilities.

My lenses include a Sigma 10-20mm EX, Canon 15-85mm, Canon 100mm macro and Canon 70-300mmL. These all work so well on the 7D. I keep the 350D with kit 18-55mm for a 'super light' DSLR kit, eg when I want to go for a walk in non-challenging conditions, and really want the smallest / lighest package to take along. Photos from the 350D can still be stunning, yet on the whole the 7D trumps it.

Whenever I go back to the 350D, it takes me a bit of getting used to (eg a few minutes of using) - but then I am ok with it. But the 7D feels more natural to me now.

Best wishes for your 7D, Quadna71 - and looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #6

Congrats, decent upgrade!