Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2004, 7:52 PM   #1

Default Canon vs. Quantray on D-rebel

I have been looking for an economical zoom lens for my D-rebel
I know that short of spending $1000 to $4000 for a quality lens from the canon or others pro lines I will have to be satisfied with less then the sharpest focusing lenses. Therefore I went out and took my camera to the local wolf store and took some pictures with a $230 canon 70-300 f4-5.6 zoom lll and a $130 Quantray 100-
300 f4.5-6.7 AF zoom . I took the images home and went and printed them and could find little difference between the canon and much cheaper quantray. also after sharpening the images in photoshop they for my taste were acceptable. By the way I am no pro but I have been involved in photograpy since the early 70's when I bought my first slr and do feel I can recognize a quality picture. I'll probably by the Quantray unless someone knows something about either lens or some other lens that might help
me decide
Geno
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:31 PM   #2

I think you answered your own question when you demoed both side by side. Nothing better than personal observations.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:47 PM   #3

As far as I can tell, Canon doesn't make a 70-300, they make a 75-300. If that is what you meant, I thought I'd add that it is a really, really bad lens. It only gets a 2.8 out of 5 on one review site, and on another the general opinion was that it was very soft in the 200-300 range. Also, the build quality wasn't that good.

I've never used it, so I can't say from personal experience.

I agree with ohenry. If the Quantray is good enough, after you tried it... then use it.

How did you shoot the test pictures? How many different apertures? Did you test for lens flare? Did you shoot at both 75 and 300? Was it on a tripod? Did you test for blooming and Chromatic Abboration? Testing lenses is not an easy thing to do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 1:31 AM   #4

$230 for the 75-300 seems a bit high to me. Did you check www.bhphoto.com for their price?

If you can stomach it, get a 70-200L F4 lens. Its about $500-$600. It'll be a lens that'll match your D-rebel very nicely. If that is too much, did you look at the new 55-200?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 9:55 AM   #5

Default testing procedure

My testing procedure at the store was very basic. I set the camera on the counter so I could eliminate as much shake as possible and pointes it out the window a set the camera on auto. I then took a picture at each zoom setting with each camera. Not real scientific but it gave me a fairly good set of photos to compare. By the way it was a 75-300 canon, typo on my part sorry.
Geno
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:21 PM   #6

I have the Canon 75-300 as well as the Quantarray 70-300 lens.
I personally cannot tell a difference in picture quality, but I did notice the $70 difference in price
Quantarray is what I use, the Canon is heading to ebay.
DavesPPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:18 PM   #7

Default thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think I may be bying the Quantray as well
I've been trying to find out any info about the tamron 28-300 XR zoom but if I don't hear any reviews I'll get the Quantray this weekend. I have heard that the lens is made by sigma for Ritz Camera. Does anyone know if this is true.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:07 PM   #8

Default Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by genohc
I have heard that the lens is made by sigma for Ritz Camera. Does anyone know if this is true.
Yes, that is true.
The Quantaray lens is made by Sigma.

David
DavesPPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:03 AM   #9

genohc 100 dollars would buy quite a big and fast CF card and we know another one of those won't go astray :twisted: 8)

One question though, why have you passed over the 55-200? Quality ? Size? I was looking at it here in Oz but I like the tam 28 to 300 for the extra reach etc.

Thoughts anyone?
Ausie Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:08 PM   #10

I have the Canon 75-300 IS which cost more, but it can help if you are out & get in a pinch & cannot get a tripod set up quickly enough or somewhere that you cannot use it. I have only used it maybe 4 times since May '03 & I prefer to use it on a tripod. I have had NO problems with mine whatsoever. If you were going to test the lens, you need to get it Outside to shoot & not in a store!
I agree - if you have the $$$$ then go for the Canon 70-200mm 4.0L! It's on my "wish list". Otherwise, buy what gives the best image quality & fits your needs.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote