Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:19 AM   #1

Default Lenses for 300D/D-Rebel

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I would find out what lenses made by other companies are able to be used on the 300D. There are two SLR cameras in my household already and I dont know what I would be looking at in determining whether any lenses that we already have could be used with the new Canon.

Someone at a store mentioned something about a "Canon Mount", as in the mounting system that Canon use, but I'm relatively clueless when it comes to lenses.

Thanks for any assistance,
PlatinumWeaver

p.s. I dont actually -have- a 300D so I cant test any lenses. Just trying to factor in all the costs at this point.
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2004, 5:46 AM   #2

I believe the digital rebel can take most (or all) canon EF mount lenses. These are lenses used by most recent canon auto-focus film SLR cameras.

http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 7:21 AM   #3

I have read that Canon EF lenses are fine. I am wondering about lenses from other camera manfucturers, maybe I should have posted this in the newbie section, I dont think I'm being very clear..

Like, a Pentax lens, or nikon.. or whichever..
Old Feb 2, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

The DRebel can accept any lens designed to fit any Canon EOS. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Phoenix, all make lenses that will fit Canon EOS/EF. Older style 3rd party lenses may not work properly, but will be retooled by the manufacturer in many cases. Older Canon FD (or 3rd party lensmaker lenses) will not work on the DRebel.

If you're looking at 3rd party lenses, they must have a Canon EF mount in order to work. Older lenses, even with an EF mount may not work but can be made to work with a chip upgrade from the manufacturer. Contact the manufacturer if that is the case.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 9:58 AM   #5

Many thanks - This is the information I was looking for.