Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:05 AM   #1

Default sRGB workflow with 10D

I've been trying to get to the bottom of color spaces and I think I almost have it - but I could be wrong! As I understand, the 10D doesn't write an ICC profile into the image, but instead it specifies the color space (e.g. sRGB) in the EXIF data. The thing that confuses me is the plugin that Adobe have made available for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements that tells it to ignore any color space information set in the EXIF data.

I have Photoshop Elements and without the plug-in, I think I'm working in the sRGB space. On the other hand, with it installed I am working in an untagged RGB color space. I notice that the colors are more saturated without the plugin installed, which works well for some photos, but not for others. The same thing with saturated colours happens if I embed the standard sRGB profile in the image before opening it up in PSE.

The bit I really don't understand is whether I need this plugin and why?

Also, does the sRGB color space set in the EXIF data refer to the standard sRGB color space, or do Canon have their own variation?

I hope that makes sense!
Simon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:59 PM   #2

sRGB is an ICC (standardized) profile. As I understand it, the camera will convert its RAW data into the sRGB colorspace for you. That way you do not need a custom color profile for your camera and use that to be able to edit your image in Photoshop.

Photoshop Elements will work in the color space of the image, if you select 'full color management' under Edit->Color Setting. It will also use your monitor profile (you did calibrate your monitor, did you)? It does not allow you to change the color space you work in, nor does it let you assign a color space to an untagged image. The full version of photoshop does do that.

I'm not sure why you would want to ignore the color space of the image using the plugin. Unless maybe you're trying to open an image with an ICC profile that PSE doesn't understand? The existence of this plugin is new to me.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:50 AM   #3

Indeed - I'm not sure why/when the plugin is needed and I'm fairly sure I don't need it in this case, with a 10D. After all, installing it results in photos coming up in PSE as "Untagged RGB" and the colors are all washed out.

The whole color space thing in PSE is fairly confusing and after reading around I have learnt the following about the "Color Settings..." dialog (please correct if this isn't true).

- No color management = uses your display profile (therefore not good for sharing images)
- Limited color management = sRGB (good for sharing on web)
- Full color management = Adobe RGB (good for printing purposes)

In other words, it seems as if you can change your working space, albeit not on an image by image basis. If you do a File -> Save As... then you'll see that you can tag the current working profile.

This whole confusion started when I looked at some of my photos in Apple's iPhoto 2.0 application - which depending on what you read doesn't support any color management (hence they look dull and washed out).

BTW, here's a link to the Adobe plugin -> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=1979

The wording is a little confusing, but I think you only need it when your camera is tagging the color space as sRGB and embedding a (different) color profile. :roll:
Simon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 11:36 AM   #4

I'm not sure if 'Full color management' means adobeRGB. I thought it meant, use whatever profile the image is tagged with. Try it. Use an image tagged as sRGB and then try the 'save as' option. You cannot save it as adobeRGB only sRGB.

I'll have to play with it some more tonight!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote