Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1

Default Welcome to the World of EOS!

Since I am NEW to the EOS system - May 2003 - switched over from the FD system - I have noted 2 things. Battery life is quite different.
(I photograph a LOT of Moving Trains, so the DSLR was a welcome addition)
#1. On 2 different occasions while I had my 300D & lens on the tripod set up waiting on a particular train ( battery was showing Low) just as it gets into view in my lens - I fired off 2 shots, then - DEAD!
#2. I was taking some still shots of a Brand New Fire truck with my EOS-3 - I had noticed a "different" sound when the film advanced previously. All of a sudden - DEAD.
I bought a spare battery with the DRebel. Still when that happens & you have no backup Digital - you switch to your Film camera & keep up what you were doing. I guess the EOS-3 needs to be turned "Off" when it is in the case. And the battery checked periodically.
I NEVER once had this Problem when I was shooting my Canon FD stuff. When out shooting pix, the Camera(s) were ALWAYS 'ON' & so were the Motor Drives. I only changed batteries in the F-1's about every 2 years & same for the Motor drives. Makes me wonder if I should have held on to 1 FD Body & 1 FD lens!?
Oh well . . . . Live & learn.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2
NHL

... the difference is autofocus as well as all thoses processors:

The photographer provides handpower to the focusing ring with FD lenses. The EOS EF lenses rely on batteries to spin the AF, plus with digital cameras the image processing draws power as well (with the electro-mechanical shutter staying the same)... Oh did I mention image stabilization (IS)? That's another high speed circuit as well?

On FD lenses one has just a mechanical plunger for minimum aperture and a stop down lever. The EF on the other hand has electronics in the lenses to send two-way information regarding focal lenght, distance info, aperture, MTF as well as autofocus information betwen the lens and the camera.

The benefit is I can't get EXIF info on pictures from my old F1 either... I rather buy an extra $30 battery and get the picture's info delivered straight to my PC! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 11:08 PM   #3

I also wonder how many pictures you are taking? I get about 300-400 on my 10D with the fully charged canon battery that came with the camera.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 11:30 PM   #4

I agree about the battery life with my 10D. It seems to be much better than most digis. Like Eric s said, there is MUCH more power consumption with new cameras as opposed to old ones. It kinda freaks me out still that a flashlight is considered a "Low drain" device compared to a digital camera. I have found that batteries do tend to die on you at the worst possible moment, but thats why I got a spare.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 4:56 AM   #5
NHL

I got much more, on average I get 600+ enough to fill an entire microdrive... On the other hand, my friend's D100 went on forever... it outlasted two 10D's battery changes!
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:54 AM   #6

NHL... interesting. I use a large IS lens almost all the time. So I bet that effects my battery life, but I've never tested how much.

It should also be stated that I usually stops shooting after about 300-400 shots. And the battery is fairly well drained, but it isn't dead. So I could get more, but how much?

The D100's battery life is rather amazing. I read an interview with one of the designers of the camera once. He said that the feature that he was most proud of was the battery life. That it's a feature that isn't advertised much that he feels it's great (and it is, from all I've read.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:30 AM   #7
NHL

You should see what the D70 is rated for: over 2000 shots (i.e. 3 battery changes for me)!
1. Unlike the EF, the focusing drive is in the camera and they can optimize this motor with each new releases (ie you got to be careful with some older EF lenses even with USM, they are not that fast!).
2. Some older Nikon lenses don't need to communicate electronically with the camera.
3. On longer lenses they put an ultrasonic motor in the lens similar to USM to compensate for the general purpose in-camera motor (or VR too).
It's like having a mixture of FD and EF mounts combined (that's why their lenses are backward compatible)!

The only reason for the EF mount was to have larger opening for wide aperture lenses like the 85mm f/1.2L (which I have), and the 55mm f/1.0L (just discontinued) both soft wide open and sold almost in dismal volumes...