Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:10 PM   #1

Default canon 7d advice

i have 2 50d bodies that i like but i've ordered a 7d .after reading the reviews i am really excited and can't wait to get it. just wondered if anybody has 1 and what tips,suggestions,thoughts or ideas that you can give me. thanks
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:41 PM   #2

Congrats on getting your new "toy". I've had my 7D for a couple of years or so. I must say I absolutely love it. One thing I suggest is to sit down with the manual and the camera, and learn all the functions of the buttons and how to program them to meet your specific needs. That way it will be easier for you to get the most out of your camera.
Here's a link to the Canon Learning Center set up by Canon. It has a lot of short videos about some of it's features.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galle...utorials.shtml

Enjoy, hope this helps.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:05 PM   #3

thanks. the more i read and learn the more excited i get. have you tried the video yet?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:46 PM   #4

I've played around with the video a bit. Although it does a great job, to me the video is a novelty that I don't use.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:46 PM   #5

I echo Mugmar's posts....

1) Read the manual. Familiarise yourself with some of the possibilities (even before you receive the 7D)
2) Keep reading up, practising about composition, lighting, technique, etc.

I own a Canon 7D and a Canon 350D, as well as a bunch of quality lenses including UWA, macro, telephone - all but 1 are Canon including L glass and 1 Sigma EX.

Many people who own DSLRs do not have the skills to match the possibilities that their cameras (or lenses) have. Certainly having a better handling and 'higher' end camera can assist, even 'basic' / beginning photographers... but even when I go back to using my Canon 350D... I still can improve.

Videos... I very rarely shoot... like Mugmar.. more of a novelty for me. I use Live View for macros mainly.

The Canon 7D is a great camera. It has a wide and deep level of functionality, and wonderful photos can be produced from landscape to macro to wildlife to portrait. Of course some other cameras will be better suited to one or a particular task, but the 7D is a very versatile body.

Best wishes

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:38 AM   #6

Got it .love it. Greatest camera ever
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerageak View Post
Got it .love it. Greatest camera ever
Excellent. Now do yourself a favor - stop reading photography gear forums and enjoy your new tool. On the other hand, you could keep reading gear forums and after another camera or two are released you'll be convinced your 7d is a worthless piece of junk
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:46 PM   #8

i did ALOT of research before i bought the 7d. not being wealthy i only upgrade when i think it will benefit me. maybe every 2-3 years.as much as i would like i just can't buy every new toy that comes out. i know it may not be the greatest ever but the 7d is impressive. this forum is great ,i get a lot of good tips and advice from other people that have had the same issues and questions.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Excellent. Now do yourself a favor - stop reading photography gear forums and enjoy your new tool. On the other hand, you could keep reading gear forums and after another camera or two are released you'll be convinced your 7d is a worthless piece of junk
+1

Great advice. One I give to many others too.

I enjoy getting OUT with my camera (& lenses!).

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:09 AM   #10

I own a Canon 7D and a Canon 350D. The 7D is much faster and responsive. On the other hand, the 7D seems to put more onus on the person behind the viewfinder to know what he/she is doing.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote