Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:19 PM   #1

Default D-Rebel

Would the d-rebel be a good 'upgrade' camera for me....

I use a a60 (like in my signature) and take lots and lots and lots of landscape photos.

I'm currently saving up for one (hopefully I can get enough money for it) and was wondering if its good for someone who wants to start taking photos a bit more seriously but does not have the budget to get into the higher end models.

I've used SLRs in the past, and recently got to play with a Nikon d100.

For samples of the images i take with a 2MP camera click on the link below, would it be a good choice to go into the rebel?

Thanx
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2

The biggest trouble will be the wide angle. If the kit lens is good enough optically (and I've heard good things) and if its wide enough then you could be set. But if it isn't, wide angle lenses (and you need really wide because of the 1.6x crop) are expensive.

Have you read the limitations of the interface and metering modes that the DRebel has? There has been a fair amount of talk about it here, just search around.

I doubt the lack of flash compensation will bother you because of what you shoot (From what I remember, you do good landscapes... I don' t have time right now to check out your link.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:24 PM   #3

The kit lens that comes with the DRebel would be wide enough for most landscape photos (18-55mm (1.6 crop factor giving you a perspective more like 29-88) and its performance is not too shabby for a $100 lens. But as Eric pointed out, the lower costs of the DRebel do not come without a price. It will certainly take some great pictures and will service most people well. On the downside, I find the most negative issue is that it does not give you the ability to chose the type of metering you want to use, forcing you to use Canon's evaluative mode unless you throw it into manual and then you're forced into center-weighted. Additonally, using the camera in manual mode is a bit cumbersome (albeit do-able). The other differences between the DRebel and its bigger brother 10d I haven't found to be a major issue.

Provided that the above issues are not a concern to you, then by all means, the DRebel would be a great choice for getting into digital SLR's. However, be prepared to want to expand your SLR system and you'll be looking for new ways to find some spare cash to support your growing habit
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:07 AM   #4

Greetings! Gimli, take a look at my web page - lots of landscapes, the last two albums (More Mountain and Virginia Beauty) shot with the DRebel mostly using a 28-300 Tamron lens. My experience with the DRebel differs from from our friend ohenry. I shoot exclusively in manual, find it to be very easy & logical with fast access and use of the controls, including shifting the metering to all points on the viewfinder. Maybe I'm not as picky about the use of these functions because I used an Olympus point and shoot prior to the DRebel and I was accumstomed to Olumpus' extensive menu system accessed through the rear monitor. I think for the money (and I'm real big on value for the money) the DRebel is a very good camera to make the jump to SLR. The rest of the albums were shot with my fixed len Olympus C730, which I really enjoyed using with pretty good results, but hasn't seen much use since I got the DRebel in October. I will look at upgrading to another Canon body in a year or two as the price drops, but for now, the DRebel is a great landscape camera. Also - don't forget that you can stitch together wonderful panoramic landscapes in Photoshop Elements! I hope this helps!

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:07 PM   #5

Gimli,

I think that the Digital Rebel is an ideal dSLR to start with. While the 10D or D100 are good cameras in my opinion the rebel is a very good value.

If you're starting an EOS kit from scratch the difference in price ($600 in Canada plus the cost of a lens) lets you buy some good lenses or an external flash. For flash photography a D300 + 420EX flash will most often take better shots than a 10D w/o flash.

But - buying into an SLR system means theWalking into a

my website has some waterfall shots that'll give you an idea of what the camera can do. If I get a chance I'll update it today with some pics I took using the kit 18-55 lens.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 5:36 PM   #6

Default Sounds like a good fit to me

I think the D-rebel will work very well for you. You will be able to control DOF better which should be a major area of importance to you if you are doing landscape photos. Using the camera in manual is not in my humble view a difficult thing. It lacks the second command wheel that would have made things easier but you only have to hold a button (easy to find with your thumb) and the forward command wheel will adjust the AP. I would think that for landscape the center weighted average mode in manual might be better than the EV mode used other times.

The only downsides I can think of are these. First, the kit lens is actually pretty good but it does have some problems with CA. The other is dust on the sensor. Since you will be using this for landscape work part of the time, you will be shooting at small stops (F22) and that is where dust really shows up in your photos. However don't let this stop you. Dust spots are easily cloned out in Photoshop or in most cases (but not all) they can be blown out with a good blower (Like the rocket air blower). Like I said, don't let this stop you from getting this fine camera. The DR is so far ahead of your A60 (or any other P&S) camera that problems with CA and dust are minor issues.

Hope this helps.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:40 PM   #7

Thank you for all the replies, it helps me futher my research into this little camera
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:28 AM   #8

If you can wait a month or two, the Nikon D70 is a superior camera destined to be a rebel killer. At 1299.99 retail, a little higher than the Canon, but the new 18 to 70 mm ED glass lens is far superior than the included 18 to 55mm Canon lens.

After trying a pre-production model D70 at the PMA show, any thoughts of buying a Digital Rebel or 10D have vanished!
Digital Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:09 PM   #9

There will always be a better camera down the road, digital's still in it's development versus traditional film cameras.

I'd hesitate to say that any camera is going to be better until production units hit the stores. By all means if you're not in a rush nor have a heavy investment in lenses and flashes wait for the D70 and try them side by side.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 2:12 AM   #10

I'm an amateur and I've had my DR since before christmas. I moved up to the rebel from a canon s200. This camera is just plain awesome to me. At first, manual mode seems a bit intimidating, but it soon becomes all you will use.

As far as landscapes go, I've found the DR to be very up to the task. Although in some cases the kit lens may not be wide enough, photostich could be a short-term remedy.

I've found that the 6.3 mp is probably more than enough for me for a long time. In fact, the rebel was outside of my means at $1000, but I intend to run it into the ground. I do not plan on buying another camera for at least 5 years.
Veritable Saint is offline   Reply With Quote