Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:04 PM   #11

G'day JM

I'd save my money, keep the 55-200 and just have fun with what you have
Maybe in a year's time, with more experience under your belt, you will see better about your lens needs

So maybe some soft focus filters etc for the existing 18-55 + some restaurant dinners for your wife/spouse/lover etc will work wonders :-)

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:33 PM   #12

So my T3i with the 18-55 seems to fit the area I need (small room) fine so even though that is not the best lens for my job, I'll just start with it before I start spending another $300+ for more glass. My bigger problems now are how to set up the awfully big paper backdrop, 108" wide, I cant believe I got that instead of just going with some cloth sheets... this is going to be a major pain to set up... I mean, I barely have space to fit the roll in there, do I have to basically make a whole PVC housing just to have it up?

Also I was just fooling around with the T3i quickly, and with both lenses, the focusing process has been horrible. In regular room light, the focusing sometimes takes 3-4-5 seconds to get it right, and thats not even every time. Its zip-zip-zipzip-zip---zip-zipzip.... I know my old Minolta film camera did this sometimes, but this is ridiculous. Could I be alrady doing something terribly wrong?? Very disconcerting. I've tried 5 different light conditions (all indoors though) in auto settings, different color backgrounds, etc....
JMASTERJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:48 AM   #13

It sounds like the AF is hunting for something to focus on. In low light, when pointing the camera at a blank background, the camera can't find something to focus on. Do you have a subject for the camera to focus on?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:26 AM   #14

are you using a flash with focus-assist light enabled? If not, you're going to have issues with that lens focusing indoors.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:03 PM   #15

G'day JM

I don't mean to be unkind here - but it seems to me that you've still got a lot of thinking to do before you get going with this project

From my camera club - portraiture days from [too] long ago where we also used a roll of background paper ...

1- I suggest you find a very large open carpeted floor, unroll the paper and use some damn-good tape to tape it to its inner tube ~ you don't want it to fall off the tube and crinkle badly while in the middle of a shoot

2- to hold it "up there" - [presuming that the room you are using for a studio can be battered around a bit] - pop down to your local hardware shop for some wall-hooks used for ladders / spades etc, and screw them up high - the roll of paper will hang from these hooks

3- if you need something to go the whole way thru the paper tube, try either PVC water pipe or a wooden curtain rod of suitable diameter

4- Stuff a piece of wood into one end of the tube, drill a hole thru the timber, feed some wire [I used plastic covered camping washing line cord from a $2 shop] thru the hole and for about 1/2 winds around the wood, then glue / staple / nail the cable to the wood. By winding it around the tube for 5-6 times, you are creating the top "pulley" that will allow it to be rotated easily, because once the paper roll is "up there" on the wall, you need some means of winding it up / down and this cord will do that.

I'll leave others to offer more ideas ... Good luck
Regards, Phil
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
It sounds like the AF is hunting for something to focus on. In low light, when pointing the camera at a blank background, the camera can't find something to focus on. Do you have a subject for the camera to focus on?
I've pointed it to a wall, blanket, table, cats faces, etc... good variety... havent had time to try in daylight yet but will this weekend. I dont mind manual but in doors hard to see how in focus some objects are... do I just trust my eyes? I thought manual focus for non-sports/fast action shots was like, obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
are you using a flash with focus-assist light enabled? If not, you're going to have issues with that lens focusing indoors.
I'll check this setting next time and test... I just got this so not familiar with all the settings in my 5 minute test, but this weekend will have a lot more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
I don't mean to be unkind here - but it seems to me that you've still got a lot of thinking to do before you get going with this project

From my camera club - portraiture days from [too] long ago where we also used a roll of background paper ...

1- I suggest you find a very large open carpeted floor, unroll the paper and use some damn-good tape to tape it to its inner tube ~ you don't want it to fall off the tube and crinkle badly while in the middle of a shoot

2- to hold it "up there" - [presuming that the room you are using for a studio can be battered around a bit] - pop down to your local hardware shop for some wall-hooks used for ladders / spades etc, and screw them up high - the roll of paper will hang from these hooks

3- if you need something to go the whole way thru the paper tube, try either PVC water pipe or a wooden curtain rod of suitable diameter

4- Stuff a piece of wood into one end of the tube, drill a hole thru the timber, feed some wire [I used plastic covered camping washing line cord from a $2 shop] thru the hole and for about 1/2 winds around the wood, then glue / staple / nail the cable to the wood. By winding it around the tube for 5-6 times, you are creating the top "pulley" that will allow it to be rotated easily, because once the paper roll is "up there" on the wall, you need some means of winding it up / down and this cord will do that.
Thats ok, I dont care about kind or mean or whatever, I just need facts. I assume people come here to help not to ream people about stuff, so its fine and I have no illusions that I am a VS pro photographer just bec I have some paper and a DSLR.... but your process seems really thorough and involved... I may just try to roll it up from the base and use like 3M non-marking tape and tape it up as high as I can... I dont have a lot of space nor storage space so building or doing other hardware related stuff would be for my second stage of this "career." But this is exactly what I feared when I wanted to go with the white/gray cloth sheets instead of paper. This setup with the paper will challenge almost any expert photgrapher/handyman/whatever... I'll figure it out somehow. But thanks for your effort, I am sure that will come in useful when I make enough money to move the "studio" to a real room with space and stuff to do things in.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:17 PM   #17

G'day JM

Okay mate - let's go back a notch or two...
1- are you able to do anything to the walls to make life easier - or are you in a leased place where anything to the walls is 'verbotten'?
...presuming 1- is a -yes I can do stuff-
2- put the paper aside for "stage-2" of your efforts 'coz it's going to involve construction and more money... & detour to the bedsheets for a moment

I have a series of $10ea QB sized bed sheets, 2x black & 2x Apricot sort of colour. I then slightly unpicked the hem/foldover at the top of each sheet to run a wire thru the hem -or- to pass them over an existing curtain rail in place of the existing curtains if the curtain rod is the simple 3/4inch metal tube sort

I make sure that there is enough 'ruffle' so that creases in the cloth get confused

Lighting is 3x lo-voltage lamps with barn-door flaps to control light spill over the subject, & attached to microphone-stand boom arms
It makes things much easier for my portraiture - tho I'm not sure what your visual ideas are for the pics you are wanting to achieve

here's a link to the lights if this would help in any way
http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/pro...oducts_id=9804

ps- I'll post 2x sample pics into a new thread instead of hijacking yours

Regards, Phil
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
1- are you able to do anything to the walls to make life easier - or are you in a leased place where anything to the walls is 'verbotten'?
...presuming 1- is a -yes I can do stuff-
2- put the paper aside for "stage-2" of your efforts 'coz it's going to involve construction and more money... & detour to the bedsheets for a moment

I have a series of $10ea QB sized bed sheets, 2x black & 2x Apricot sort of colour. I then slightly unpicked the hem/foldover at the top of each sheet to run a wire thru the hem -or- to pass them over an existing curtain rail in place of the existing curtains if the curtain rod is the simple 3/4inch metal tube sort

I make sure that there is enough 'ruffle' so that creases in the cloth get confused

Lighting is 3x lo-voltage lamps with barn-door flaps to control light spill over the subject, & attached to microphone-stand boom arms
It makes things much easier for my portraiture - tho I'm not sure what your visual ideas are for the pics you are wanting to achieve

ps- I'll post 2x sample pics into a new thread instead of hijacking yours
1 - Its my house, but it'll be a real chore if u r talking about painting... jus dont have time for that and it wont be worth it bec of the type of project this is (almost exclusively web photos, prob nothing bigger than like 700x700 at 72dpi) and also, I have done some test shots today with my proposed setup, all except I didnt take the paper roll out.... 9 feet wide is just too much right now for me to deal with in my room, I would have to spend like 2+ hours just to make that work. So I just put up a gray sheet for testing, not too bad. I'll post some soon, took like 100 so I gonna weed out "some."

2 - Haha, thanks... ya DITTO THAT. I was just able to tape up the light thin sheets easily to the wall so no problem there. I'll try for the ruffles etc. later. I have one gray, one white, and one light tan for the bedspread/base.

I just need good looking product photos, in similar style to Victoria Secret, without the fancy pink gradient bg's... that for later when I actually make some money.