Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Default EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom

I'm sure some of you know my ongoing saga with trying to do intimate indoor med/low light portraits/body shots in a small room.... I just finally got a great deal on the Ti3, + the default 18-55 + Tiffen 58mm UV Protection Filter + EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II for $570. It was a package deal so my question is, should I keep and use the 55-250 for my project and more, or should I flip it and try to get something else more useful to me? I heard it is bad for sports and is a bit soft on the 250 end (which kinda sucks for a zoom lens I guess) and soft on the edges on all lengths, but right now all I care about are my portraits so...

If I should flip it, what else within a $100 price range of the 55-250 should I get that will do me a lot better? If I can I would love to keep a zoom lens to make life easier, but if you really think there is a fixed lens out there that will do a whole lot better for the price for my purpose, please advice... but please keep in mind my MAX shoot distance is about 7-8 ft. Thanks!
JMASTERJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:15 AM   #2

It is a general photography lens. It does that job well. But it is not the best for sports. For indoors it is not ideal either. So unless you are planing to use it for a travel lens or general photography. It might not be the lens for what you are looking to do.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:18 AM   #3

How does the 18-55 suit your purpose? If it's too dim at the long end, but ht eangle of view is ok, you might look at the 50/1.8. If you need something longer, there's the 85/1.8 and 100/2.0. If you need a longer zoom, there's the Tamron 70-200/2.8.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 19, 2012 at 7:52 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:41 PM   #4

The two lenses you have are not bad the 18-55 isn't a bad lens for a kit lens. Depending on how you light it could do a reasonable job for you. The 55-250 scores well inn the iq stakes but again it depends how you light your subjects. You could add to your lenses by getting a 50 1.8 which you can get for under 100 and again this is quite a good prime lens.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:45 PM   #5

Many have suggested the 50mm/1.8 but bec of my 7-8 ft shot distance, max, thats probably impossible... I think I'll just go with the 18-55 for this shoot, might just need a little help on the settings, and then I am sure it will still beat the crap out of anything my Lumix can do! Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:24 AM   #6

If you can get the angle of view you want from the 18-55, but it's not fast enough, the Canon 50/1.8 would be a good choice. Otherwise, the Canon 85/1.8 or 100/2.0 might work better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:07 PM   #7

G'day JM

I think I see a) where you're coming from and b) what you're trying to achieve

My 100% would be

1- for interior shots like this you need some distance between camera & subject - distance that you don't have > therefore anything longer than 50 will be too long
2- I suggest you swap the 55-200 for another 18-55
3- with the 2nd 18-55 do what other 'intimate' photoographers have done over the years ~ take some sandpaper to the front element of the lens and scrape it till the sharpness goes off > then you'll get some cracker, soft images

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day JM

I think I see a) where you're coming from and b) what you're trying to achieve

My 100% would be

1- for interior shots like this you need some distance between camera & subject - distance that you don't have > therefore anything longer than 50 will be too long
2- I suggest you swap the 55-200 for another 18-55
3- with the 2nd 18-55 do what other 'intimate' photoographers have done over the years ~ take some sandpaper to the front element of the lens and scrape it till the sharpness goes off > then you'll get some cracker, soft images
Ummm, huh???
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:23 PM   #9

G'day JM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
... ~ take some sandpaper to the front element of the lens and scrape it till the sharpness goes off > then you'll get some cracker, soft images ...
Thought that one would get you to sit up

We all know about the vaseline on the UV filter trick to diffuse the image
Back 25yrs ago, one of Aussie's most famous boudour & 'dreamy-fashion' photographers [and using all nikon stuff] used to produce the most amazing, 'dreamy' images of the women - and occasionally men-

His camera [tripod mounted in studio] always has the lens can on when the lights were up & the public wandering around, but after he died it all came to light - so to speak

The bugger had sandpapered the front element of every lens in his bag to 'kill-off' the sharpness and cause the image to become very soft

You are at choice here > Try it by all means, as well as vaseline &/or soft focus filters which are now widely available where they weren't 25 yrs ago

Whichever way you go, it would be nice to see the results ...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:05 PM   #10

Why didnt he just add a piece of glass or whatever in FRONT of the lens and scratch that up?? Maybe money was no object to him, if I were a millionaire I guess I would do that too.

And one quickie before i finalize:
Good sale: $400
Canon EF-S 18mm-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus Lens - Refurbished (Adorama) - Assuming refurbs are ok for these lens
Will this be much better than the 55-250 I just got for my indoor small room portraits? I.e, should I resell that and get this?