Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:18 PM   #11

Thank you so much for your help! I am sure as I start shooting my photos I will have many more questions but this certainly helps me get started!
Ticia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:36 PM   #12

Another lens you might consider is Sigma's 50-150/2.8. It's smaller, lighter, and less expensive than the 70-200/2.8 options.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:13 PM   #13
Administrator

TCav has a great point. Sigma discontinued their 50-150mm for a while. But, they added a newer version with OS (Optical Stabilization) back into their lineup.

Note that because it's designed specifically for cameras with smaller APS-C size sensors, if you ever wanted to upgrade to a full frame Canon model with a 35mm film size sensor (like the 5D Mark III or one of the EOS 1 series cameras), you couldn't use the 50-150mm. But, for cameras with APS-C size sensors like your T2i (or more advanced models with APS-C size sensors like the EOS-60D, EOS-T4i or EOS-7D), a 50-150mm would be a really good lens to look at for indoor sports, and would probably have a more useful focal range on an APS-C sensor equipped camera for closer in shots (since you can only back up so far from closer shooting positions).

Because it's designed for cameras with APS-C size sensors, it's also a smaller and lighter lens compared to the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses we've discussed so far (which are designed to work on cameras with APS-C or larger 35mm film size sensors).

B&H has the newer 50-150mm with OS (Optical Stabilization) in stock for $999 right now (and it also gets good customer reviews if you look at them there):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_EX_DC.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:39 AM   #14

You've gotten some really good info here. Let me just say this: I would be a bit hesitant about the Sigma lenses. By many accounts, Sigma had quality control issues for several years with their lenses. The 50-150 should have been an outstanding seller because of it's focal length but I never heard much at all about it from actual people in the field using it. With a price tag of $1000k I would be a bit hesitant. I used to be a big fan of sigma (and still use an older 120-300 2.8) but they've hiked up their prices quite a bit and that's troublesome when you're having QC issues.

Back to your situation: if you're going to go with a 2.8 lens you really want a camera that can shoot ISO 6400. Better gyms will let you use 3200. However - if you have to shoot from the stands, that 200mm will be very helpful. 85mm is a great lens but you have to be right at the bottom of the stands close to the court to use it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:57 PM   #15

I did read some reviews of the Sigma 50-150mm and they were definitely mixed. I am not in a big hurry to purchase the zoom lens - still have some saving to do but I think I can get pretty close to the floor in most instances so the 85 mm should work until I can purchase the more expensive lens. Again I appreciate your help.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:46 PM   #16

I had the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 when I had a Sony body a while back and it was a very very good lens.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:04 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticia View Post
I did read some reviews of the Sigma 50-150mm and they were definitely mixed...
Which Sigma 50-150mm?

Make sure you're reading reviews of exact model you're interested in.

The newer 50-150mm f/2.8 OS version has only been shipping for a few months (it started hitting vendor shelves in May).

It uses a different optical design compared to the older version without OS, and most feedback I've seen on it so far indicate it's very good. For example, I was just looking at a thread about it yesterday from a Canon user showing MTF charts, and it's considerably sharper than the latest Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with OS. But, charts are one thing, and real world results can be something different (since QC issues and variations between how a lens works on a specific camera model can influence performance).

Basically, you can't assume that one Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens is as good as a different Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 model, as you'll find multiple versions of it (before they even added OS with the latest model); or that an older 50-150mm f/2.8 model is the same as a newer 50-150mm f/2.8 model, as the lens designs change with updates over time (especially when comparing models with OS versus models without OS), with different optical elements, depending on the exact version of a lens you're looking at.

From what I can see from Canon user feedback so far, the latest Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS lens is pretty good. But, it is a very new lens model (it's only been shipping for about 3 months now) , so it will take some time before we see feedback from a larger number of users.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
From what I can see from Canon user feedback so far, the latest Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS lens is pretty good. But, it is a very new lens model (it's only been shipping for about 3 months now) , so it will take some time before we see feedback from a larger number of users.
Very true. There's another part though - for a lens like this, it is often the first "fast" lens many people have. So, compared to the kit lens, it's fabulous. The notion that the lens front or back focuses isn't really noticed. It's only over time they see an issue. This wasn't such a big deal 5-6 years ago when sigma lenses were priced very low (their 70-200 used to sell for $650, their 120-300 2.8 sold for $1850). With them raising the prices so much on their lenses, it's tougher to tolerate these issues. I really do hope Sigma has gotten their QC issues straitened out. It would be great for today's users to have viable alternatives to pricey OEM lenses again.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
... if you have to shoot from the stands, that 200mm will be very helpful. ...
That would do it for me. While you could save some money on the 50-150, you could save even more money by forgoing the image stabilization (since you'll be using fast shutter speeds anyway) and getting the Tamron 70-200, or a used (unstabilized) Sigma or Canon 70-200.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:23 AM   #20

Well...... I am back again! I was headed out to buy the t2i when I read that this camera was being discontinued so..... because I seem to have some great irrational fear of buying a dslr I shut down and didn't buy anything. My daughter will begin club volleyball in a month and I am determined to purchase a dslr. I have again been researching -more dangerous words have never been spoken. lol I have decided that along with still photos, some video would be great too. I have read reviews on canon t3i and t4i and recently began looking at the Sony alph series in particular a37 and a55? I think. All have video as far as I can tell and live view. The biggest difference I noticed was the fps. t3i at 3.7; t4i at like 5 but Sony a 37 is like 7 and the 55 is 12! I know that indoor photography depends greatly on lenses. So I began researching lenses. I know Sony is interchangeable with Minolta. However it does seem that Sony has way less choices in lenses than canon and they seem to be more expensive. I can't afford a $2000 lens or even a $1000 lens. Around $500 would be great. I know this limits choices and certainly decreases telephoto length but moving around a gym should be fine for now. Please help me!