Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:58 PM   #11

Urbanphotos, I've been recording and playing music for many years so I understand and appreciate your analogy. You can't play a high end lick with a broken E string.

On the other hand, and as you point out somewhat, I've heard pure waste come from excellent recording facilities and heavenly music from a 4 track reel-to-reel TEAC.

As you say, the tool in the hands of a master will make the master more masterful, and the same tool in the hands of a dolt will insult the tool.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:10 PM   #12

There is no question that the quality of the tool is of the utmost importance in the final result but the pianist does not need to know why a grand piano of magnificent upkeep is capable of producing better sound than a dusty old upright.

However if the pianist knows the limitations of each tool then he/she can choose an appropriate piece to play on either and elicit the best out of each.

That is where I thought the original post was going. That a technical appreciation of the equipment has improved his passion and therefore results.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:14 PM   #13

Photography is a unique art form because it relies on a fair bit of technology (chemistry for the film, advanced mechanical engineering for the camera, plus optical science for the lens) just to get a image in the first place. Violins have been around for 300+ years I'm guessing, the most modern (non-electrical) instrument I can think of is the Saxophone and that's late 1800's I believe.

So unlike an artist using charcoal on paper or the writer with a laptop, the photographer has to understand how the technology works to a greater extent than other artists. The problem is that unlike other art forms where there's an appreciation of a better quality of instrument (grand piano vs. upright) in the hands of a talented player, cameras tend to bring out the techno geek. There are lots of people who want the most megapixels or biggest zoom yet won't take a picture that is anything more than a snapshot.

In some instances a talented photographer will need all the bell's and whistles, for wildlife faster AF and a deeper buffer come to mind. But a good photographer can get wonderful shots from a view camera - and that's essentially 100 year old technology.

The other problem is that we sometimes get caught up in the minutia of tech specs and ignore the usuability/ergonomics of camera. A 1Ds is undoubtably a technically better camera than my G2 - but try carrying it in a suit jacket pocket at a wedding. Right tool for the right job.

My opinion is that for an advanced amateur or pro; at most the technology of a camera limits what a talented photographer can do. In some cases a new technology pushes back these frontiers but that more evolutionary not revolutionary.

For a beginner - it's the opposite. Put the camera in the green box mode, point and shoot. Most of the time you'll get a good picture. In this case the technology is handling the technical stuff and the user is able to compose the shot without having to think about f-stops. The best shot of my son was taken by my wife using my G2 in 'green box' mode. She's the least technical person I know.

The nice thing about today's cameras is that they let you work in either full manual or full automatic mode and everything in between.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:59 PM   #14

The sky is blue because of the refractive index of the earth's atmosph... ahem, yes - it's pretty isn't it?
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:19 PM   #15

In Colorado the sky is absolutely beautiful. You know we have more sun days than any other state in the union. Now we can have all four seasons in a single day but that is beside the point. :lol:
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote