Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Canon 6D (real? or imagined)

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/16/...ice-and-specs/
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:41 AM   #2

The camera is real - although it seems Canon rushed the announcement on the heels of the d600. It seems the 6d won't be available for a couple months. The spec sheet is somewhat disappointing. Slow frame rate, entry level AF system, no built-in flash. Built-in wi-fi and gps are nice - but at $2,000 the camera is missing some of those other key features that Nikon chose to include on their model. I'm less concerned about the number of pixels (20 vs. 24 of Nikon). It will be interesting to see how the camera does, but on the heels of the d600 announcement the specs for the 6d are a bit of a yawn for a $2000 camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:45 AM   #3

I am in agreement about the specs or lack off, Canon of late seems to be trailing behind Nikon.
Nikon's current pro/prosumer lineup seems to be both better performing and lower in cost.

Hopefully Canon has more up its sleeve.

Not sure they rushed it, look how long the 1dx took after the announcement, might be a new standard practice.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:04 AM   #4

The 6D seems like a nice camera with smaller size and weight which may attract APS-C users who want to upgrade. I think the 5DMKII, 5DMKIII and the 7D are humongous cameras. However, the specifications on the 6D are not as good as the Nikon D600 which has the same listed price @$2100 for the body.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5

I have been interested in adding a full frame camera to my collection (Currently have a 40D and 7D). A 5Diii would be great, but not at $3400.

I was waiting for the 6D, but am generally disappointed and see little that would make me think this is any improvement over my 7D.

Some of the positives are the full frame sensor, built in wireless & GPS, improved AEB with 2, 3, 5, or 7 shots.

I am disappointed with only an option for SD cards as opposed to CF. I also really dislike the 97% view finder and having to guess how much more might be in the frame.

I really was hoping for auto focus video like the T4i but do not see it. I cannot find anything whether lens calibration is include.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:47 AM   #6

no real life reviews yet
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7

I usually like to wait until some hands on reviews come out before making an opinion on new gear, but I am really Underwhelmed by the specs on the 6D. Yes it is a semi affordable full frame but, The focus system is a step backwards from the rebel line. It only has one cross point focus point. After using cameras with multi-cross points, this would not work for me.
As more information comes out on this I may change my mind, but right now, it seems Canon is falling behind it's competitors.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:07 PM   #8

I played with one briefly at a photography show yesterday. It felt pretty light, not has hefty as the 5D3. I think it might make a good travel FF camera.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:10 AM   #9

Even though I am a Nikon D600 owner, I am sure once the 6D is released, it will perform like it was designed to and you prospective new owners will love it. The critics will always find something wrong with it, because they find something wrong with every camera, hence justifying their jobs, or rights to be seen as seemingly knowledgeable, but I'm sure the average user will get to grips with it in no time and put those minor little things that some see as "lacking" aside and just use it and enjoy it in exactly the same fashion that I use my D600, and love it...

I'd love to be able to afford a 6D to see just how they perform but alas I have spent my allowance for cameras for 2012... Hey, 2013 isn't too far away, so maybe,, naaa I'd better not... Just kidding... It will arrive soon and you'll all be happy soon after that, I'm sure...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10

fewpics - I think the critics might have it right this time - the big problem with the 6d is even if it performs exactly as it is spec'd - the price for what Canon is delivering just isn't there. And, what's completely whacked is they're introducing a new $1400 kit lens for it. The price of the camera is just way too high for what the spec sheet delivers. It really is a head scratcher - especially with Canon now enforcing MAP pricing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote