Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:26 AM   #1

Default Sunpak handle flash & autofocus

Just bought a secondhand Sunpak auto 455 flash. That's a big one on a handle. The flash has a single contact: voltage trigger.

There is one slightly problem with this flash and 10D; autofocus does not work correct anymore. If the flash is connected autocus hunts in all directions for a correct focus, but never get it right.

My question; is this autocus problem and a big (old school) external flash normal?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:36 AM   #2
NHL

I use a big (old school) Metz 45CT-5 external flash with the sync connector on the side of camera with absolutely no problem with the autofocus...

You are not using the Sunpak dedicated connector for EOS which connect through the top of the camera with additional contacts right?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:06 AM   #3

Well actually I do have a small converter block with mono contact that fits on the flash shoe and has a standard flash cable connector to the Sunpak
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4
NHL

Try the X-sync connector on the side of the camera, there's no electronic interchange with this one on the side which can also be used with studio strobes...

Also go outside and see if brighter lighting help... (the camera might expect with the presence of the Sunpak an AF illuminator but not available through your 544 when the top adapter is attached).
The side plug is a 'dumb' connector and should not interfere with the autofocus at all... the standard connector should plug in here instead.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:11 AM   #5

I just tried same "connect to top" set-up and learned that a full battery does help. Next time I have a 'half battery' I will test the side connector makes a differnece.
Good to hear that the side connector is dumb connector. With Canon one never knows.