Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:03 PM   #1

Default 5D Mark III lesson learned

Three days ago I tried to clean my focus screen on my 5D Mark III. It was windy when I changed lenses and dirt landed on it.

I did not know how fragile focus screens are.
Now I know. They are more fragile than a contact lens in for your eye.

I went to the store to buy a replacement focus screen for it.
You cannot replace the focus screen. Canon has to replace it for you.

So my camera is on it's way to the service center in Virginia, where they'll send me an estimate on the cost of the repair. And I'll have my camera back in 2 weeks, or so.

Moral of the story: Never touch your focus screen with anything. This lesson is free to you. I doubt Canon will be so generous.

Faithfully yours,
FP.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I have some replaceable focus screens for the 5D2, they come with special bits of plastic that allow you to put them in and out without scratching them. You can use a gentle brush and blower for cleaning them once removed.

I don't know if the 5D3 is different.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:42 PM   #3

Thanks Peri;

My camera tried to look up the part for me. But they found that they could not even order it. They looked a bit further into it and found that the part is not replaceable by anyone other than an authorized Canon service center.

I called Canon, they said the same thing.

But I appreciate your suggestion very much!

FP
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:01 PM   #4

I have disappointed so many times with customer service that I've lowered my expectations every where.

Imagine my shock when UPS delivered my camera to Canon on Tuesday morning and I got a message from Canon that same afternoon!! W00T! W00T!

The repairs will be done at no cost to me since the camera is still under warranty. I'm supposed to have the camera back next Wednesday.

How about that??!!

FP
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:00 PM   #5

So how are you enjoying your Mark III now? Have you tried using 6400 ISO and higher, and is it really as clean as Pop Photo says it is?
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote