Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:50 AM   #1

Default Canon T1i and operating temperature?

I have a Canon T1i and have... in the past year developed a passion for night photography......I would like to take some pictures of the Christmas lights in my town......problem is the night time temps have dipped into the teens and single numbers at night......i do not want to damage my camera.......my camera manual says safe operating temperature is 32 degrees or above.
Can someone please tell me their experience using their camera during these cold temperatures?
I would be riding around town......and probably be outside for about 5 minutes or less at each stop.
thank you all......and Merry Christmas
kowal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:16 AM   #2

The warning in the manual applies if you'll be keeping it outside for a long while. Since you'll mostly be keeping in the warm, dry air of your car, and only occasionally taking it to the cold, dry air outside, and even then it will mostly be in your hands, I don't think there's any reason to worry.

If you'll be using a tripod, setup time will be longer, and the camera won't be in your hands very often, so you're more likely to cross that line, especially with the frequent changes in temperature as you move the camera to and from the nice, warm car.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:15 AM   #3

Default nice Christmas pictures

I went out the night before last and took some nice Christmas light photographs with a tripod.....the temp was 18F.
They come out good....thanks all
kowal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:55 AM   #4

The photos should always come out as you would expect. The warning is about when the mechanical things might start slowing down, and since you're using a tripod, that's more likely to occur. If you're getting reasonable shutter speeds that you think your stabilized lens can handle, I'd go hand-held.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote