Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:35 PM   #11

Nope. No regrets about the move from DSLR to G1 X. I'm happy with the handling, control, form factor, and, of course, image quality. Here's a sample of my dog thinking she's a polar bear after the latest storm to hit us in New England last night, taken as JPEG in P mode and only cropped and resized for posting.

requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:31 PM   #12

Nice picture.Hope the snow isn't hitting you too hard.

What about the viewfinder-do you miss the DSLR field of view as the viewfinder on Canon's G-series cameras generally is supposed not to be great (though better than none at all)?
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:05 PM   #13

Yes, I do miss the viewfinder. Truth be told, I haven't even been using the viewfinder on the G1 X, and am starting to get used to shooting at arm's length, but I have always preferred the precision of real TTL viewing of an SLR.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:19 AM   #14

I did the same thing you just did. I sold my Canon 40D and three Canon lenses and bought the Olympus EPL-2 and now have three lenses. If I had to do it over again I would have kept the Canon 40D. Not so much because the Canon had a tad better IQ but because the larger camera was much easier to use in my hands. I had less camera shake due to a better grip, the buttons were more spread out so there was less chance of pressing the wrong button. I like the Oly and the picture quality it produces, no problem there. I thought with the smaller camera and same versatility, I'd take it with me more often but it didn't turn out that way. You still have a bag, body, and three lenses to tote, albeit smaller, but it's still the same bag I lugged my 40D and lenses around in although it was a much tighter fit. I'd hold off selling your DSLR and gear until you are absolutely positive about your decision. For me it would be too expensive, even buying used, to replace what I had. I've been looking at used Oly DSLR bodies since I do have the 4/3 35mm macro, but from what I have read, other than the E3 and E5, there is no noticeable difference in IQ with these lower end DSLRs. The E3's are hard to find in excellent condition and when they do come up they are at least 500 or more with no lens. If I did make the move I'd still keep my EPL-2 as the market value is very low on them and for what I would get for it, I would be much better off keeping the camera as a very good back up. I can't really say I'm sorry I made the move to the M43 but I'd rather have my 40D back.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I did the same thing you just did. I sold my Canon 40D and three Canon lenses and bought the Olympus EPL-2 and now have three lenses. If I had to do it over again I would have kept the Canon 40D. Not so much because the Canon had a tad better IQ but because the larger camera was much easier to use in my hands. I had less camera shake due to a better grip, the buttons were more spread out so there was less chance of pressing the wrong button. I like the Oly and the picture quality it produces, no problem there. I thought with the smaller camera and same versatility, I'd take it with me more often but it didn't turn out that way. You still have a bag, body, and three lenses to tote, albeit smaller, but it's still the same bag I lugged my 40D and lenses around in although it was a much tighter fit. I'd hold off selling your DSLR and gear until you are absolutely positive about your decision. For me it would be too expensive, even buying used, to replace what I had. I've been looking at used Oly DSLR bodies since I do have the 4/3 35mm macro, but from what I have read, other than the E3 and E5, there is no noticeable difference in IQ with these lower end DSLRs. The E3's are hard to find in excellent condition and when they do come up they are at least 500 or more with no lens. If I did make the move I'd still keep my EPL-2 as the market value is very low on them and for what I would get for it, I would be much better off keeping the camera as a very good back up. I can't really say I'm sorry I made the move to the M43 but I'd rather have my 40D back.
That's interesting-requa of course does not have the lens issue as the GIx is fixed lens.

At the moment I have the luxury of the GF3 plus 14-42 PZ x lens as a second camera which as a package is very compact.I bought it for its pocketability allied with good IQ.However I do find it fiddly to use ,miss not having a control dial and I'm not a great fan of the resistive touch-screen.I wouldn't want to use it with a set of differing lenses. Ideally I certainly wouldn't want it as my main camera but as a highly portable second camera and backup its great.

The GI X seems to be a little bigger, sizewise a compromise between CSC and DSLR hence part of its attraction to my eyes if I were to move to one camera.

Your post really echoes my concerns-I think if it came to it I'd miss my 60D.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #16

I am quite sure you would. Wish I would have kept mine and have both cameras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW2020 View Post
That's interesting-requa of course does not have the lens issue as the GIx is fixed lens.

At the moment I have the luxury of the GF3 plus 14-42 PZ x lens as a second camera which as a package is very compact.I bought it for its pocketability allied with good IQ.However I do find it fiddly to use ,miss not having a control dial and I'm not a great fan of the resistive touch-screen.I wouldn't want to use it with a set of differing lenses. Ideally I certainly wouldn't want it as my main camera but as a highly portable second camera and backup its great.

The GI X seems to be a little bigger, sizewise a compromise between CSC and DSLR hence part of its attraction to my eyes if I were to move to one camera.

Your post really echoes my concerns-I think if it came to it I'd miss my 60D.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:19 PM   #17

I still have no regrets about the switch from 60D to G1 X. For me, convenience and portability are big enough factors to outweigh some of the things I've given up, as long as I can still have the image quality. I just finished working on a video project consisting of multiple scenes of people from work, some of which were transmitted over our internal video system and recorded by pointing my camera at our TV (we do video hearings around the country). Whether in-person or on video, I was very impressed with the quality of video, though a little disappointed with the audio that I was able to pick up with the on-board microphones. This was largely a result of trying to record people speaking in noisy locations and not having any directional control. Fortunately, I rarely shoot video and don't care much about it. Moving forward, if I shoot any video, I'm more likely to do nature or special effects footage with a separate audio track anyway.
Still shooting, and still looking forward to giving it a workout on vacation in March.
Dan
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:20 PM   #18

I had a Canon 20D at one time and sold it to buy one of the older models (which was new at the time) similar to the GX 1. Although it took good photos and had a reasonable zoom range, I did have regrets. The 20D took noticeably sharper images and was much easier to work with because of its size. I have big hands and the smaller body was another problem. That being said, the GX1 would be a very good alternative to a DSLR although I would also consider one of the M43 cameras such as Olypus or Panny.