Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:33 AM   #1

Default Regrets on moving from EOS DSLR to G1 X?

I am currently using a 60d with Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4.0, plus a Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 that I rarely break out. I am seriously considering ditching the entire DSLR concept in favor of an advanced point-and-shoot such as the PowerShot G1 X. Why would I do such a foolish thing and risk spending the next several years taking inferior pictures?

I'm beginning to realize that my DSLR spends most of its time in a camera bag on a shelf. I occasionally break it out for a quick family photo. I really take advantage of it when we take a vacation or otherwise anticipate extended exposure to highly photogenic stuff. I am very happy with the quality and performance of the 60d, but just don't feel inclined to lug heavy gear everywhere I go on the off chance that a photo opportunity might appear.

On the other hand, if I'm just going to be out and about and think I might not want to miss a photo, I throw my pocket camera (Elph 500 HS) in my, uh, pocket. Most of the time, that's where it stays; occasionally, I break it out and it is adequate for a simple snapshot. I'm still trying to get the hang of its touch screen. My other photo option is my smart phone (Galaxy S3) -- I don't care how advanced phones get, they'll never be able to compete as real cameras with a microscopic lens, but at least it's on my person most of the time.

I've been reading reviews and specs on the G1 X as well as the Sony RX1, and think the G1 X would likely fulfill 95% of my photo needs, including being much more portable and therefore available than my 60d. What I'm looking for are thoughts from any other users who have made a similar move. After switching to an advanced P&S, have you experienced major regrets? Did you later switch back to DSLR, either exclusively or along with the P&S?

As suggested above, despite prior illusions of being an advanced amateur photographer, I realize now that the vast majority of my shooting is comprised of family snapshots and vacation pics. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject, including any thoughts on whether this thread should actually be in the P&S forum rather than the EOS forum.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by requa; Jan 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Correcting minor typos
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:18 PM   #2

I don't think you'd be sacrificing much in the way of IQ by switching to a G1-X and if speed is not a big issue (both AF and burst/continuous) nor the limitations of the lens attached- then you might not be too disappointed...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x

And "Steve's" take on it all....
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...1x-review.html
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:13 PM   #3

Range wise they cover about the same as you zoom lens. So that is a moot point.

Now with your 30 1.4 if you got it for the shallow dof aspect. That is something the much smaller sensor can not do. You are also giving up 1.3 stops if you do not like to use the flash in low light and much better iso performance indoors with out the flash.

As Simon said if you do not need the speed of the af or bust. And you only take snapshots. Then you will have a very good point and shoot with ok low light ability. And you will use it more as you will carried it with you.

Me I went the mirrorless route. I just could not deal,with the fix zoom lens and limited dof control. It is a bit bigger then th g1x, but it gives me a much better low light ability, better dof cont with the much larger sensor, and when I need more shallow dof control, i pop on big aperture lens. And I have much better macro ability with a true macro lens.

My 60d comes out for car trips and plane spotting, my Olympus comes out on bike and airplane trips going out around town and parties.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:58 AM   #4

shoturtle- with regards sensor sizes- the G1-X's sensor is 16% larger than a 4/3 Oly'/Panny and only 20% smaller than an APS-C...! Of course you are limited to a degree by the lens, but not really by the sensor...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 AM   #5

i would go to shop take a memory card and take a few shots then go look at them and see if there are any differences
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
shoturtle- with regards sensor sizes- the G1-X's sensor is 16% larger than a 4/3 Oly'/Panny and only 20% smaller than an APS-C...! Of course you are limited to a degree by the lens, but not really by the sensor...
Ok I was thinking g11 and g12, not paying attention as I used to to the G series camera.

But that is a good size for a point and shoot.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:31 PM   #7

Thank you all for your input. I did go ahead and order the G1 X while it was available for $619 last night (B&H), and I'm glad I did because the price went back up today. I'm hedging my bets by hanging onto my 60d until I see how well this works for me, but I expect to start selling off gear locally soon. Fingers crossed. I'll submit my impressions as follow-up to this thread once I run the G1 X through its paces, but I expect it to fit my needs nicely, and maybe I'll keep watching for a G2 X in the future.
Dan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by requa View Post
Thank you all for your input. I did go ahead and order the G1 X while it was available for $619 last night (B&H), and I'm glad I did because the price went back up today. I'm hedging my bets by hanging onto my 60d until I see how well this works for me, but I expect to start selling off gear locally soon. Fingers crossed. I'll submit my impressions as follow-up to this thread once I run the G1 X through its paces, but I expect it to fit my needs nicely, and maybe I'll keep watching for a G2 X in the future.
Dan
Coming to this thread a little late I would be interested to know how you are finding the transition when you're ready.

I have a similar setup to you.My pocket camera used to be an S95 but when a Panasonic GF3 was available at Jessops for a great price I coudn't resist the lure of a bigger sensor.However despite the excellent output of the 60D with the 17-70 it is big beast and a lot to lug around and I'm using the GF3 more than I thought and am pleased with the pictures it produces.No they aren't as good in low light and the dynamic range is not as good but its good enough.I'm not intending to move to one camera any time soon but if I did the G1 X seems to be one I'd look at.

Do you find it fits the bill or in practice do you miss not having a DSLR? Cant help but feel I might when it came to it.Look forward to your update.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:26 PM   #9

The G1X is built like a tank. You are going to enjoy this camera for a long time.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:45 PM   #10

I am enjoying the G1 X and feel good about the purchase. I'll feel better about the whole transition once I finish selling off the DSLR gear, but that's another story. I haven't updated this thread with impressions because I really feel like I have not put the camera through its paces yet, and may not really give it a workout until my March vacation in Florida (17 degrees and dropping here in NH as I write this).

So far, the only issue I've encountered is the slower focusing, but maybe I just got spoiled by the 60D. I'm also still trying to figure out manual focus, but that's part of the adventure. When I activate MF, I can focus with the dial, but on later shots, the dial seems to default to adjusting white balance. I know I'm just missing a step, but it is puzzling.

Thanks to all for your input.
Dan