Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:34 PM   #1

Default Depth of Field Preview Button - 10D

I have had a Canon 10D for a little under 60 days now. Have taken about 2400 frames and am getting pretty comfortable with it.
One feature that eludes me though is the 'depth of field preview button'... I've looked at the manual and I don't get it. I understand what it is supposed to do - preview what the DOF is for the selected apeture, but all it seems to do for me is make things kind of greyish...
mscott821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2

I have the same feeling about it.

I wonder if its because the view finder really isn't that good compared to older manual focus cameras where the view finder had to be much crisper and sharper.

I've never found it useful, but then I'm usually using a f5.6 lens... maybe that has something to do with it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3
NHL

That button will close the lens down to the pre-set aperture (that's why the viewfinder get darker!)... You should also see an increase in DOF.

If you open up the aperture the grey will eventually go away and so is the decrease in DOF! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:40 AM   #4

Just an idea...But in try using the DOF button with a wide open apature in normal lit scene. Next, stop down to the smallest apature and look again. Note the near and far points of focus with both and you should see the difference. I only use this option when looking for critical front focusing and not worring about the backgraound. If you have to cover your eye and eyecup with your hand to see it better(sort of the old idea of a dark cloth). As for it being different than the older SLRs DOF preview, I think it's the same (Canon AE-1 to 10D comparison). Good Luck! Bob
Fotobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:36 AM   #5

I realize what its doing, I just don't think the viewfinder is good enough to show the subtle change that well. Maybe I should break out my 50 f1.8 and try using the DOF at f1.8 & f22 and see if I can't see it then. I'll try to be more careful about stray light getting in to my eye, that might help.

I know what it's doing in theory, but I don't seem to see the difference through the view finder. I blame this on a view finder that isn't as sharp as it could be (because if you depend on AF, you don't need it.... its a cost-savings thing.) Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. My old Pextax K1000 had a much better view finder, but it had to. It was a fully manual camera.

Eric
Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:11 AM   #6

Eric, when you say sharp, it makes me wonder??? Have you set the dioptric adjustment on the eye piece. This allows you to sharpen the AF points in the view finder and will help the over all sharpness of the focus screen. This doesn't affect the auto focus of the lens, only what you are seeing in the viewfinder. I check my setting occasinally because normal use can readjust the knob, you know in and out of a camera bag can snag the little thing and bump it out of your adjustment. I think this might help clear up the sharpness issue. As for the old K1000, In the old days mirriors were just that, mirriors. With todays electronics wired through them they are considerably denser. I would guess that could account for the loss of brightness and make things seem less than sharp. Good Luck! Bob
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:38 AM   #7

I haven't intentionally played with the dioptric setting, but maybe its been bumped. It's an interesting idea. I don't wear glasses (I know what the setting does) but my the way my left eye is going I'll eventually need them. But my right eye is still working quite well (the one I use in photography) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I'm deluding myself.

Read this article, and you'll see all the issues in a viewfinder:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...wfinders.shtml

Personally, I think it isn't as crisp because they don't want to put the money into it to make it as good as it could be.

Eric
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:11 PM   #8

Fotobob

Give Fotobob the prize. It didn't help lots, but the dioptric was off. Way off. After fixing it there was some improvement. I didn't get to do my 50mm f1.8 test, but I will.

I still wish the view finder was better, but it sucks less now.

Eric
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:40 AM   #9

Well maybe sometime in the near future we will have digi "Beatie"screens available, thus giving more light on the subject. Glad I could help, you should post your test when you can and lets see what the difference is. Good Luck! Bob
Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:28 PM   #10
NHL

Just remember this today when I had to use my 10D on manual:

When the camera is in Manual Focus (MF), if the shutter is held down 1/2 way while the focusing ring on the lens is turned, the corresponding AF confirmation point (or points) will light up accordingly when the focusing is achieved... May be the "Beattie" screen is not needed after all! :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote