Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:29 PM   #11

I've seen a pro photographer use a ST-E2 when he wanted to trigger a flash on a stand near a speaker while he took shots from across the room with a 300mm IS (i'm guessing based on the size and white colour). It was a pretty slick setup, watching him work was much more interesting than the talk.:roll:

Can the Sigma trigger a slave flash while it doesn't fire at all?
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:22 PM   #12
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
Can the Sigma trigger a slave flash while it doesn't fire at all?
... just like the 550EX, you can turn the Master flash OFF and it would still transmit the wireless signal (ie it acts just like an ST-E2) through the menu selection on the flash.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:24 AM   #13

I did some research on these things so I gathered a few statements that impressed me and here they are:

The minimum needed to emulate a "studio" flash setup would be an ST-E2, your 420EX, another 420EX (or Sigma 500 Super), two light stands and two umbrellas. The light stands and umbrellas are fairly cheap and you won't need a flash meter.

Another quote:
Actually, the Sigma EF 500 Super has the ability to act as an E-TTL wireless master as well as a wireless slave.

Another quote:
The Sigma is more powerfull and full of features that the 420EX lacks. However for autofocus assist, the 420EX is the only flash that will light up all of the Elan 7's AF points. The Sigma only assists the center AF point, but it's brighter & works for a considerably longer distance. The combination of the two should work well.

The EOS-compatible version of the Sigma EF-500 Super is product number F08101.

The last post is important if you are interested in this product because it is made for EOS and others, and I'm sure you want the one that fits the EOS.

I've ordered the Sigma flash which I will use in concert with the 420EX, if I ever receive it. If I do, I will let you know and I still plan to work out another light, either a Sigma or a Canon, depending on experiments. I'm sure that the Sigma will have a whole pile more manual potentials so it'll probably be a Sigma slaving a Sigma and a Canon.

This is fun stuff, but expensive
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
This is fun stuff, but expensive
Hear hear!
marksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:55 AM   #15
NHL

Quote:
Another quote:
The Sigma is more powerfull and full of features that the 420EX lacks. However for autofocus assist, the 420EX is the only flash that will light up all of the Elan 7's AF points. The Sigma only assists the center AF point, but it's brighter & works for a considerably longer distance. The combination of the two should work well.
Actually Norm, you don't need the AF illumination at all with the 10D. I have this function disabled with the CF function of the camera... It's pretty tacky to scan people with IR beam anyway: Try it yourself even without flash help the camera has no problem focusing even in a darkened studio...

IMO you need 3 flashes (I have a 550EX and two 500DG Super):
1. With two flashes, when the Master is disabled and acting as an ST-E2 you are down to only 1 head, illuminating from only 1-side! How about another for shadow control? :?
2. Even with the Master acting as a front fill with a Slave on the side a 3rd unit can add highlight (or a backfill)! :P

Quote:
The EOS-compatible version of the Sigma EF-500 Super is product number F08101.

The last post is important if you are interested in this product because it is made for EOS and others, and I'm sure you want the one that fits the EOS.
BTW the EF 500 Super is not the same: This is an older unit fits for Canon EOS film cameras, and with the compatibility issues that you've learned from the web!!! What you want is the EF 500 DG Super, this is a newer device designed for better digital camera functionality (the price difference between the two is like ~$10)!
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:40 AM   #16

This has been a great thread for learning, thanks everyone.

I'm not so interested in setting up a 'studio flash' setup. My brother-in-law has a full setup, that's a bit dated but works nicely. I'd just have to get a hot-shoe adapter with the voltage limiter then I'd be off to the races.

I'm planning on a big purchase soon - just have to find a new job first - and I think I'll get two instead of one more flash now.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:53 AM   #17
NHL

FYI for Studio (there's cheaper... and there's also more expensive ways):
http://alienbees.com/index2.htm

... and they work with the Sigma too: "The Sigma EF Super 500 DG has the optical slave built in and only half the price.....sorry had to throw my two cents in."! 8) 8) 8) http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=006KAs
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:20 AM   #18

Can the Sigma 500DG Super trigger a Canon 420EX acting as a slave?

Thanks!
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:21 AM   #19

Yes!
marksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:37 AM   #20
NHL

FYI

A review of an older non-DG EF-500 Super:
http://www.photographic.com/accessories/94/