Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2004, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Canon warrenty

Lo all,

If i got a camera in the united states ( I am in the UK ) say the canon 300D would the warrenty be valid for me to take the camera to canon UK or would i need to bring it back to the US ?

Thx

Adam
garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:39 PM   #2

This is also my dilemma...although I have been told you can purchase a worldwide warranty when you buy your camera in the US. I will buy the warranty when I get my 300D in early March :lol:
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:08 PM   #3

No, I believe you will have to send it back to the US to get any warrenty work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:14 AM   #4

Maff, can you keep us informed regarding that worldwide warranty. I would save a few hundred dollars ( US or AU ) buying from the US, getting it shipped and paying tax on it upon arrival, the only thing that would stop me would be if something was wrong with the camera. I've heard of issues with dead-pixels and the like...
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:52 AM   #5

PlatinumWeaver no dead pixels on mine. Great camera. I have not taken so many macro shots or anything else for that matter on any cam before. Great for happy snaps too. Epson 1290 helps though! :lol:
Ausie Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:14 AM   #6

Ausie (sic),

Can I ask where you got your 300D from and how much you paid for it?
Old Feb 16, 2004, 9:08 AM   #7

Hmm, have just called Canon UK. Here's what they said regarding warranty repairs of a 300D purchased in the US.

"Because the camera is covered only by a regional warranty (ie, purchased in US, only covered in US) Canon have no obligation to repair any fault with the camera when it's back in the UK.
BUT, if it did develop a fault, a representative from Canon UK would have to look at the fault on the camera before a decision is made whether to repair under warranty or not.

Because the camera is marketed in the UK, there probably wouldn't be a problem with any repair work under warranty"

So, depending on how that Canon rep felt that day and the price of the repair and whether parts were available would they decided there and then if the camera could be repaired under warranty.

So that's as clear as mud right?

I asked if I could purchase an International warranty.....they said NO.

Well, hearing that, do I go ahead and purchase in the US when I am there in 3 weeks time? What do you think?

Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:11 PM   #8

Do you have friends/relatives in the US?

I do and although the Canon warranty is regional, I would be considering getting the camera just for the amount of money I would save. If something did go wrong I would be able to send the camera back to a relative and have them be the point of contact for Canon. The postage would be quite high, but not as high as the difference in prices here and there...

If you do get one while in the US, I would make sure to take some photos while you're there. The last thing you'd want to do is come home and find a problem that you could have reported/had fixed while you were there...
Old Feb 17, 2004, 3:51 AM   #9

thx maff i was about to phone them today and see what they said, saves me a job

Going on that i think i will get one in the US but from a big store, My uncle has a place in florida so he goes out there at least 4 times a year so should be able to take it back if (Touch wood) Something goes wrong.

Even if i didnt know someone with a place i woud still get it out there the cost is just spot on atm with the current exchange rate.

Having said that i have changed my mind on what camera i will be getting daily not going out there till prolly april so plenty of time to research

GL let us know what ya go for

GaR
garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:16 AM   #10

Gotta love a weaker US dollar, right?

I'm in the same boat, the Australian dollar is at the highest it's been in 10yrs or so.. buys approximately 80 US cents. US prices are generally half or less that of Australian..

It's a good time