Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:22 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I personally would get a 24-70 2.8 for what the OP wants to shoot. As I find that the 24-70 range to be ideal for street shooting. But it is not budget. So I through out all possibilities for the OP to consider. And as the OP has been reviewing his photo data, he should weigh everything and decide which is the best option for his needs and budget.
This one is my preference; I'd consider the 28-135 a concession and overkill on the long end of the scale.

My main concern is whether the 24-70 would give me IQ as good as my 17-50.
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:28 PM   #62

Yes it will, the 24-70 is a really good lens form sig, not as good as the L or the new tamron. But still a very good lens.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:54 PM   #63

Quote:
Yes it will, the 24-70 is a really good lens form sig, not as good as the L or the new tamron. But still a very good lens.
Yeah--I saw the prices on the Canon and Tamron...

One thing that I find odd is that my Sigma 17-50 2.8 has a feature called "optical stabilizer." This apparently does not.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:08 PM   #64

Why not take a look at what LensRentals has to offer. Many of the lenses that have been discussed her are available from them at LensRentals:Canon:Lenses:Normal Range. You can try any or all of the lenses you're thinking about, and you'll know for certain which one you want to buy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:16 PM   #65

That's a great idea that I never would have thought of: thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:04 PM   #66

Quote:
I've been reading the reviews of the Tamron and I'm very impressed. How would this compare in terms of IQ with my Sigma 17-50?

One concern I have is this comment (http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._usd_review/):

While you can use it on a smaller APS-C body, it won't balance very well (and the focal length will also change) - as demonstrated by the images above, it's a much better match for a professional-grade, full-frame camera like the 5D Mark III, where it feels much more well-balanced.

Not sure what this means, having never used a full-frame camera.

Last edited by dg27; Mar 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM. Reason: add'l question
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:51 PM   #67

It is a big lens, but that is normal for a 2.8 lens in that focus range. The canon ef 24-70L on a rebal body is a bit off balanced as well. The tamron is not as good as the L, but not to many lenses are L quality.

Also the review gave it 4.5 out of 5 IQ, so the tamron might not be the prefect lens but IQ if pretty good. Also with it being on a crop body, the soft edges are not an issues. As the crop body needs a smaller image circle.

I have shot the 17-50 sig, is a good overall lens. And I think the tamron will give you similar results. Think the VC gives it an nice advantage if you do night time and low light shooting.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Also with it being on a crop body, the soft edges are not an issues. As the crop body needs a smaller image circle.
Thanks--I wondered about that soft edges issue.

Quote:
I have shot the 17-50 sig, is a good overall lens. And I think the tamron will give you similar results. Think the VC gives it an nice advantage if you do night time and low light shooting.
Of the admittedly pretty meager lenses I have, my sig 17-50 is my favorite. And I do like to shoot late in the day and in low light.