Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Hi try looking at a sigma 17070os. the 70d is due very soon may be april now
Well, as this being my first DSLR and having less knowledge about different lenses and their uses, I feel that I would be more comfortable with a single company product (body+lenses), so will probably go for a Canon lens.

I did read that 70D was in the pipeline, but that's again a rumor and nothing confirmed as to when it will be launched. Even if it is launched in late April, its availability in my country would be in a couple of months ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
With regards the Canon lenses you mention- the 18-135 is probably the best of the three- offering longer reach than the 18-55 and optically superior to the 18-200.

TCav's suggestion of maybe a less expensive body isn't a bad idea- unless there's a specific feature that the 60D offers and you want... or as wave01 suggests, maybe look beyond Canon lenses,such as Sigma or Tamron... though of course,you do get a bit of a discount if you buy a lens/body combo...
Even my eye is on the 18-135 as a single all purpose lens. But also getting attracted to the 18-55 IS II as a kit and the 55-250 IS II as an additional lens at the same cost, probably cheaper, and having two lenses. (I have mistakenly mentioned in my previous post that the kit is with 18-55 IS, its with the 18-55 IS II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Well if the 70d is coming, the 60d will start seeing bigger discounts on the body.
Well for this it really depends on the launch confirmation as with the 700D being yesterday and 650D prices already started to fall.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If the combination of the 60D and the 15-85 is outside your budget, I suggest you look for a less expensive body instead of a less expensive lens.

If you're really stuck on the 60D, then I think you should consider the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS that wave01 mentioned.
Quote:
The STM version of this lens isn't much different from the regular one, unless you'll be shooting videos. The STM version is quiter than the conventional version, so you won't capture the sound of the AF motor.
With regards to a less expensive body, I have just started liking the 60D with various reasons like better body construction, big grip, better battery (more shots per charge), best thing - LCD panel on top, more features and control, etc.

I did see a few reviews on the STM version of the 18-135 lens and even saw a youtube video which shows the autofocus noise it makes compared to the older one, there was a remarkable difference, no noise at all. Even the pictures were a bit sharper than the older one.

As mentioned, is the STM better for videos than stills? as I'm not a video guy and want more for stills. What do you have to say about this?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:51 AM   #13

According to the objective test results published at SLRGear.com, there is very little difference in the optical performance of the 18-135 IS and the 18-135 STM IS, and even at that, neither one is consistantly better than the other.

The big difference is the AF noise. So, while they are about equally good for stills, because of the absence of audio noise, the STM is better for videos.

If you're really stuck on the 60D and really want a Canon lens and really can't get the 15-85, where their ranges overlap, the 18-135 is better than the 18-55, and where their ranges overlap, the 18-135 is better than the 18-200.

I'll add that the 55-250 is a bargain and would be a nice suppliment to the 18-135.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:41 PM   #14

Quote:
According to the objective test results published at SLRGear.com, there is very little difference in the optical performance of the 18-135 IS and the 18-135 STM IS, and even at that, neither one is consistantly better than the other.

The big difference is the AF noise. So, while they are about equally good for stills, because of the absence of audio noise, the STM is better for videos.

If you're really stuck on the 60D and really want a Canon lens and really can't get the 15-85, where their ranges overlap, the 18-135 is better than the 18-55, and where their ranges overlap, the 18-135 is better than the 18-200.

I'll add that the 55-250 is a bargain and would be a nice suppliment to the 18-135.
I checked all the prices today and came to know that the 18-135 STM lens is not offered as a kit price but as an individual lens which will work out very expensive.

The other alternative I liked is the 18-55mm IS II Kit + 55-250mm IS II lens, which will work out US$ 1270.00. This is within my budget and I can happily add a SanDisk 64GB Extreme SD Card for US$67.00, which would be sufficient for stills (RAW+JPEG) and videos (Full HD) if any.

The difference between, only the body and 18-55 kit is only US$ 63.00, so taking the 18-55mm kit seems fine.

Whats your take on this?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:43 PM   #15

I'd get an extra battery (to keep on the charger while the other is in the camera) and I'd rather get 2 32GB SD cards than 1 64GB card.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:51 PM   #16

I'll second getting a second battery and 2 32 cards. You should always have a second battery because there will be times, especially on vacations and such, that you'll need it. Also, cards can fail all the time. I've never gone higher than 16gb....but that's my personal preference. Whatever you get SD wise, I've read countless articles where people, much smarter than I, have stated repeatedly to never max out the card. Always leave a few shots on the card to avoid errors.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:25 AM   #17

And finally, I bought the Canon 60D with 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought a SanDisk 16GB & 32GB Extreme cards.
It was a moment of sheer joy and satisfaction what I got from buying this and upgrading myself from the point & shoot category.

It was suggested to me by a close friend to buy the basic kit first and to play around with it until I get used to and then decide on the next lens.
He also said that its always better to go for the best lens in a particular range, of-course if budget permits.

I'm happy that at-least I have the body with a lens so that I can learn and capture some great pictures.

I want to thank all of you for helping me out with my first DSLR purchase. I shall keep you all posted with the pictures I take with this camera.

Last edited by saketb; Mar 24, 2013 at 4:29 AM.
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:37 AM   #18

The 60D is a fine camera. I know you'll enjoy it.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:23 PM   #19

Enjoy the new camera. Go out a shoot as much as you can. And really get a feel for the camera. The 18-55 is actually a very good kit lens, I was actually using it today actually.