Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:51 AM   #11

The answers:
" Like my film Rebel, the Digital Rebel forces evaluative metering in Av mode (which is what I use 90% of the time). Evaluative metering is often the best choice, but there are times I like to use centerweighted metering. I heard, however, that when using a single focus point (I always use the center), the camera links the metering to that focus point. Is that true? If so, is using that center focus point similar to having centerweighted metering? "
1.True.
2.Not similar but better, the area of the selected focus point is more heavily put into the count.
3.Best is to push the * button:this is very simple, you can push it anytime, it will use the partial metering mode (something like the spot metering but 9% of the screen is metered).
Hope this helps
PeterA
digiteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:56 PM   #12

digiteye, that's good to know. I am still interested in the Rebel, but I'll probably end up waiting until samples from the Nikon D70 are out, just to be sure (I'm still favoring Canon and CMOS though). I'm also trying to decide whether to get the kit lens or not. I'm actually leaning toward not getting it, since I already have the 28-200mm lens. I can do without wide angle for a while until I can get a wider lens (probably one of the Sigmas). It will also help me to afford a big CF card, which is more important in the short run; it's better to have one lens and ample memory than two lenses and too little memory.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:17 PM   #13

UrbanPhotos: If you're getting into dSLR, look beyond the camera and at the lenses and accesories that go with the different cameras. Once you get into SLR's, you're building a system. The lenses and peripherals will last into your NEXT camera if you stay with the same family. So, take a look at Canon and Nikon lenses, flashes, and accessories. Compare quality, availibility, and costs. Factor those things into your decision. Both Canon and Nikon are fine photographic companies. Personally, I don't think you'd go wrong with either.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:52 PM   #14

I've been downloading some full-resolution images taken with the Rebel, and I noticed that the EXIF data includes the focal length used for each picture. I find this surprising. I can understand how that works in a fixed-lens digicam, but I'm surprised it works with an SLR lens with non-motorized zoom. I know the lens and the body are in electronic connection for focusing and f-stop setting, but I didn't realize the camera "knew" the focal length. Will it work with any EF lens (like the Tamron 28-200 I'd be using if I do decide to get a D Rebel)?
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:12 AM   #15

I'd agree with ohenry in the matter of what "body" you choose and what lenses you decide to purchase. Whatever lens you choose can be used with whatever camera body you choose next time around, as long as Sigma, Tamron, Nikkor, and Canon will be friendly with one another. I'm sure that will be the case because nobody would win if it were not the case. In other words, spend alot of money on a good lens because you will also use it with your next camera body. If your goal is good, then the purchase needs to follow that goal. If you purchase an "average" lens now, that will never equate to being a good lens in the future, it will remain forever an average lens and will probably end up being less. However, if you purchase a "good" lens then you will be able to use that lens with future camera bodies in a number of different models, since it isn't likely that useability is going to get "more" selective in the future.

In other words, be selective in the camera body you purchase, but go crazy with the lenses!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote