Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:07 AM   #11

The photo at the church is definitely better. There is simply a bit too much flash. It's fairly minor and can be corrected in post-processing on the computer. At the shoot, this can be controlled using Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC). OR by using flash-exposure-lock (FEL). You are using ETTL - when you do that, the flash emits a very brief burst of light and the camera reads that reflected light and determines how to set the flash exposure. So, the camera actually figures out 2 exposures - one for the camera and one for the flash. The problem is - the camera often looks at the majority of the image to determine how to set the flash output. If you place the center focus point over a face and hit the FEL button on your camera, the camera will meter just off what is under the center focus point (in this case a FACE) to set the flash exposure. It's an extra step but it works very well. Just remember - FEL only works with the center point - it doesn't matter which point(s) are used for focusing.

But the church photo should be easily corrected in software. correcting that will help the people look less "flat"
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #12

hi how do you focus ie which focus point do you use. if you have used the centre point and then recomposed this might have caused the left side problem
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
hi how do you focus ie which focus point do you use. if you have used the centre point and then recomposed this might have caused the left side problem
No - even if the OP did that, you would simply see the whole image front or back focused. In extremely shallow DOF you'll see some issues around BOTH edges compared to the middle - but focus/recompose won't result in what we see here - where the focus gets worse as you move left to right. It's pretty dramatic too.

My initial thoughts would be the either the lens or the sensor has a smear on it.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:08 PM   #14

to be honest looking at the picture again it looks like camera shake almost on left. not really sure what it could be
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:38 PM   #15

Camera shake is a possibility with a shutter speed of 1/60, but motion blur due to camera shake is directional and this blur isn't.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:44 PM   #16

I don't see the increase in blur from one side to the other, but if it's there, the best explanation is that the sensor is not in the right position. I suggest http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:34 AM   #17

What would be the best setting for indoor pictures with an external lens?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
What would be the best setting for indoor pictures with an external lens?
Assuming you meant external flash.
There is no magic setting. In my opinion, you start with aperture and work from there. You select an aperture based upon sweet spot of a given lens and the DOF you need.

ISO and shutter speed then follow based upon available light levels and how much you want the available light to influence the exposure.

If you're just trying to use your camera like a point-and-shoot, here's my suggestion for starter settings indoors without a lot of sunlight from windows:
ISO 400
F/6.3 - f/8 depending on lens being used
1/60

Be careful of using an aperture wider than above for more than 2 subjects. If it's only a single subject go as wide as you can - just remember if you're shooting at f2.0 you may need to lower the ISO or raise the shutter speed so the shot is not over-exposed.

Get yourself a stofen omni-bounce and set your flash at 45 degree angle

All-in-all though - there is no set of magic exposure or flash values that work for everything. If there were then all anyone would have would be point-and-shoot cameras.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:05 AM   #19

Oops. Yes i meant Flash.

What setting should I use on the dial?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
Oops. Yes i meant Flash.

What setting should I use on the dial?
<M> for manual.