Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2004, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Flash for Rebel 300D - Recommendations please. . .

Need recommendation for an external flash for the Canon Rebel 300D. Can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced external flash for this camera? Don't mind buying used - will probably go to ebay. . . Just need some guidance. Thanks!
kbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 5:09 PM   #2

HMM - If you are looking for a reasonably priced flash, then the 550EX is out of the question. The 420EX is quite a bit lighter and cheaper and puts out almost as much light but without all the bells and whistles. Plus if you ever upgrade to the 550EX later on, the 420EX can be used as a slave flash so it won't be wasted. Both flashes have zoom and bounce heads. Ok, now if you don't necessarily want a Canon flash, I have used a few good flashes made by Sunpak - the PZ5000AF or PZ4000AF, or if you don't need a zoom head there's the 433AF. I have used most of them with a few battery packs made by Sunpak and Quantum. Hope this helps.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 5:35 PM   #3

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I just bought the 420EX. Only received the camera today and am now waiting on a Canon 28-135mmF3.5-5.6 lens. Am buying everything separate, it is less expensive, but I hate waiting for everything! Oh well, it'll be charged up and ready - now just need to read my shortcourse book. Thanks again for your suggestions, they were much appreciated.
kbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:34 AM   #4

I guess this is too late but I've heard that the best flash for the Digital Rebel is the 550EX. Reason stated was that the 550EX has Flash Exposure Compensation built in whereas the 420EX does not. In the case of some cameras such as the 10D they have their own FEC built in and therefore do not need the external flash to have it but the 300D does not have it built in and therefore will work better with a flash such as the 550 over the 420.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

good article that includes this and much more information on EOS flash.
azpatrick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote