Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Canon T3i lens

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and just getting into a digital SLR. I have the Canon T3i with an 18-135 mm lens. I will be taking a trip to Italy with the wife and of course will be visiting churches and museums. My question is about the lens that I have and one that I might buy. Minimizing on the packing is essential so am wondering if the 18-135 lens is a good all around lens or should I purchase either a wide angle or fisheye one for the interior shots?
dfredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:58 AM   #2

hi and welcome as you are starting out i would stick with the lens you have you may have to up the iso for indoor work so it maybe better to pack a tripod and get an external flash. others may say get a wide angle lens like 10-20 but again you will have to up the iso for indoor work
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:14 AM   #3

I'd say that the 18-135 is fine for most of what you want to do, but that a fast prime would help with the interior shots. The $110 Canon 50/1.8 is a good, inexpensive choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:19 AM   #4

I may suggest the 40mm F2.8 over the 50mm 1.8. Slightly wider and definitely sharper and better than the 50mm.

Most importantly very light and makes your camera look like a P&S because of the size.
Look out for some used ones where you can pick them at the same price as a 50mm F1.8.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:29 PM   #5

Hey, thanks a lot for the information. I am hoping all will go well. I use to shoot 35mm film a "very" long time ago. Even though I have been using a small digital this T3i is a whole new ball game.

Thanks again for the in put.

Fred
dfredr is offline   Reply With Quote